Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about documents needed to teach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyjonesy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Confused about documents needed to teach Reply with quote

Hello, I know this topic has been covered before but I'm still profoundly confused. I'm leaving the US soon and just now heard about getting documents apostilled. Apparently my college records need this? I have official (unopened) transcripts from my previous college experiences but do I need to get them apostilled/certified with the Secretary of State? I live in Washington state but the schools are in Virginia and California. How does this work?

Also, do the college transcripts count as proof of my degree or do I need a diploma? Do the transcripts need to be notarized or is it enough that they're in sealed envelopes?

As for the background check, I plan to send in the form for the FBI Background Check now and have my sister send it to me in Vietnam when I get there in April. Will this work, since I believe it's supposed to be no older than 3 months? If not, what do I do?

I have several copies of my TESOL degree. Do they also need to be notarized or apostilled?

Thanks so much! I appreciate any help or advice. This sort of thing makes my head spin just a bit.
White Boy 55

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Here you go. Reply with quote

I did the who FBI background check for working in Korea. Your company/school can do it here for about $250. All legit.

However, you do need to get your degree Appostilled. If you are here you have to send it home and have someone take it to the Secretary of State. Even copies can be done but first do the original.

I have never heard of the sealed transcripts...that is for Korea.

No matter what your school tells you going to the embassy to get it notorized is a waste of $ and time. They have not verified degress for more than 20 years.
heyjonesy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks so much for the info. Do you happen to know if Vietnam requires the apostille?
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fall 2017, I was trying to get things done at the US consulate in Hanoi and among other complications, they told me that Vietnam was not party to the apostille system they are in at all. At least, that was true as of then.

What you ultimately have to be concerned with is finding out what in the world your employer's country (or province, township, whatever levels you have to go through for each step) actually will accept for their purposes, not what the US government calls things.

Vietnam has been saying that they wanted documents "authenticated" (diploma, TEFL cert) but they have their own process and it is not the same thing that the US is talking about. Would they be happy with documents stamped by State in the US under the American government system? I don't know. Probably I'd hope? But for many jobs, as I gather that is not really necessary.

Some positions (I'm gathering quite a few, but that's more hearsay) will let you get your documents notarized at the US consulate in Vietnam. Essentially, you ask for an Affidavit, write in "These documents are genuine and belong to me," explain any technical differences between your identity shown on your passport and on the documents (is your middle name displayed the same etc).

They charge $50 per "packet" of documents. And they ask you to explain if you want more than one set, which you might because each employer could consume one. Oh, and you also have to schedule the whole appointment online -- which means either likely waiting some days for a regular opening, or making a special email request yourself or your company might ask the Ambassador's Residence (if they have such contacts) for expedited service.

Last edited by nomadic_meow on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 am; edited 2 times in total
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To what White said, I don't know if there are some jobs where notarized documents are not actually necessary. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some... But that is the process I was put through by my employer for one provincial job here, so far. So if you have to do it, that can be done here with some fuss and money.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was later told by another recruiter that you shouldn't need any notarized docs for a 3 month business visa at all (as opposed to a work permit, where they say you do). Just a letter of invitation they said.

They actually blurted out twice, "They didn't know what they were doing," though it seems to me maybe the earlier employer just hoped to turn the whole thing into a longer-term deal eventually or had their own internal procedure set in stone. Fact remains they did require it... But it's an expensive business, and not everyone does.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process of authentication varies by country.
In Korea they want an apostille on your degree AND your FBI check.

In Thailand they want local authentication affidavit from your embassy on your degree. An FBI or state level check is required but does not need authentication.

In Vietnam the process is similar to Thailand for the extended visa and work permit.

In Cambodia, no. Just buy a business visa.

In Taiwan, yes. Notarized and authenticated by the Taiwan trade mission to the USA (IN the USA).

China has their own requirements for authentication that usually involves the Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country.

Further to all of that you WILL need, (for legal work) the original or a university issued copy of your degree in addition to your transcripts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: