Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

74,000 - good salary for New Taipei City?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: 74,000 - good salary for New Taipei City? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I of course know from reading this forum that Taiwan is supposed to be dead with few opportunities but I was in touch with a recruiter after I saw a job in a private school at 85k with free housing which seemed like a very good deal (and quite high for Taiwan). Anyway, I applied for it, but annoyingly, during the interview the salary mentioned was only 69k with 5,000 accommodation allowance. After querying this I was told that the original job was gone and this was the job on offer in a public school in New Taipei City.

Is 69,000 NTD/month with 5,000 towards housing a good salary for a public school job in New Taipei City? It’s 8-4:30 Mon-Fri. I have never taught in Taiwan (or Asia for that matter) but the salary seems reasonable enough (of course I do realise 5,000 won't go far for accommodation). However, I do realise that Taiwan seems to get a bad rep here, so I'd like some opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: re: accomodation? Reply with quote

I'm always confused the the accomodation situation for FT's in Taiwan.

Presumably the 5000 is enough to cover a flat, but deposit and first months rent is also covered, or deposit is up to you to pay and recover, the school pays the rent?
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: re: accomodation? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
I'm always confused the the accomodation situation for FT's in Taiwan.

Presumably the 5000 is enough to cover a flat, but deposit and first months rent is also covered, or deposit is up to you to pay and recover, the school pays the rent?

I'm not so sure about accommodation prices in cities in Taiwan, but I'm sure 5,000 would be nowhere near enough for rent in Taipei or New Taipei City. Maybe more so between 10-15,000?

I imagine you find your own place and the 5,000 is included in your salary and didn't expect you'd have any kind of further assistance from your school. Anyone?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: re: anyone? Reply with quote

these boards seem dead, but these are good points. Bueller, bueller?
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to XE currecy converter that comes to roughly 2340 US dollars a month full package.

If you spend 475 US dollars (max) a month on housing then that's less than 25% of salary going on rent. I always look at this ratio when looking for jobs and housing costs. you should pay no more than 25% of your salary on rent.

end of transmission

Grendal
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a public school gig. Well, New Taipei is a heckuva lot cheaper than Taipei, but 5000 won't cover all of your housing. 5000 is doable in most places outside of Taipei.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the public school position as I posted on another thread. You have to be a qualified teacher from your home country to get accepted in Taiwan. I looked into it. 69k includes the 5000 salary. when I enquired they were looking for teachers in Taoyniun city or somat. Also how much is tax there? I think that that 64k is only 49k after tax I believe. It's a bad deal unless you get loads of privates in the evenings or do a second job at a cram school.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 74,000 - good salary for New Taipei City? Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Hi all,

I of course know from reading this forum that Taiwan is supposed to be dead with few opportunities but I was in touch with a recruiter after I saw a job in a private school at 85k with free housing which seemed like a very good deal (and quite high for Taiwan). Anyway, I applied for it, but annoyingly, during the interview the salary mentioned was only 69k with 5,000 accommodation allowance. After querying this I was told that the original job was gone and this was the job on offer in a public school in New Taipei City.

Is 69,000 NTD/month with 5,000 towards housing a good salary for a public school job in New Taipei City? It’s 8-4:30 Mon-Fri. I have never taught in Taiwan (or Asia for that matter) but the salary seems reasonable enough (of course I do realise 5,000 won't go far for accommodation). However, I do realise that Taiwan seems to get a bad rep here, so I'd like some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Since this recruiter seems to use a bait and switch tactic, I would run. When you arrive, the job may end up being in a buxiban. I could probably guess what recruiter you are dealing with.

If you want to go to Taiwan, then by all means do it. However, I would have a lot of savings since this position seems rather insecure. I love Taiwan, but watch the doggy recruiters.
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5000 bucks a month isn't going to cover your whole rental expense in new Taipei city. I doubt it's even intended to do that.

Where in New Taipei city, though?

I think there's still a decent sized apartment in Sansia that to my knowledge has been for rent for about a decade for around 8k, because it overlooks a cemetery. I've looked at that place three times over the years. I walked past the complex just before leaving the island last summer and there was a "for rent" sign out front. I guess you could rent one of a few places against superstitious Taiwanese people.

In Puli, there's a big house for sale for much less than normal price, rated for earthquakes, three stories, has a huge jacuzzi for several people. Basically a freaking castle. But it's right by a cemetery. My friend was considering it, but his Taiwanese wife was like, "What if my scooter breaks down while I'm driving over the cemetery?!" So, he had to pass on a house any Westerner would consider a steal.

And up North of Taipei, close to DanShui (TamSui on the map, named in Minanhua), a friend of mine owns a huge house overlooking the sea and the river and all of Danshui, near where a bunch of foriegners live, because you guessed it, part of the view is a prominent cemetery.

So, look for the place that Taiwanese don't want, with no disadvantage for you, sometimes you can get a good deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: