Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dominican Republic/ Santo Domingo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was in the Caribbean...in the Dominican Republic and Martinique...taught English for several resorts (freelance) and was earning around $2000/Month + free accomodation + benefits etc. I speak several languages so that's what landed me the jobs. Anyone who comes to the Caribbean these days to teach English for less than $1,000 a month must seriously have their head examined. I can only imagine those English teachers who are homeless and with no savings who would be desperate enough to take these positions.What a sad state of affairs! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: What people aren't noticing.. Reply with quote

The OP has no teaching experience, nor does s/he have masters. So.. is a bit under 2200/month plus airfare, visa and a housing allowance a standard package for a new teacher in the the DR? No. I still think my gut feeling this is a too good an offer for the region-- and thus a scam-- is likely. But if people who live there know that elite schools there do offer this as a standard package, then that might be true. But no one starts out with a job offer this good in Latin America and that is just a fact.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What people aren't noticing.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
The OP has no teaching experience, nor does s/he have masters. So.. is a bit under 2200/month plus airfare, visa and a housing allowance a standard package for a new teacher in the the DR? No. I still think my gut feeling this is a too good an offer for the region-- and thus a scam-- is likely. But if people who live there know that elite schools there do offer this as a standard package, then that might be true. But no one starts out with a job offer this good in Latin America and that is just a fact.

The OP is long gone. His question about that job offer is 7 years old. Whether or not it was legitimate is LONG since irrelevant. The OP has not posted on Dave's since 2008, nor have most of the other participants in that discussion. Shocked

esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: What people aren't noticing.. Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
The OP is long gone. His question about that job offer is 7 years old. Whether or not it was legitimate is LONG since irrelevant. The OP has not posted on Dave's since 2008, nor have most of the other participants in that discussion. Shocked

I don't think she's worried about that. If you follow her posts through these forums, you'll notice that most of them simply project her own negative experiences in Latin America on everyone else. Crying or Very sad
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Okay then.. Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Yes I was in the Caribbean...in the Dominican Republic and Martinique...taught English for several resorts (freelance) and was earning around $2000/Month + free accomodation + benefits etc. I speak several languages so that's what landed me the jobs. Anyone who comes to the Caribbean these days to teach English for less than $1,000 a month must seriously have their head examined. I can only imagine those English teachers who are homeless and with no savings who would be desperate enough to take these positions.What a sad state of affairs! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Great.. so I will look for a job that pays SEVENTY EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR PLUS LIVING EXPENSES in the DR; that is about what 2000/month in 1970s dollars would come out to in 2013 (when this was posted) or 2015 dollars.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Good Old Days are gone for TEFLers in the Caribbean...I remember a time where it was so easy finding work teaching English at resorts throughout the Caribbean...and practically NO COMPETITION WHATSOEVER. Nowadays forget it....TEFL teaching has become an institution...and there are EFL tourists willing to teach for free as volunteers everywhere to be found. Most Caribbean islanders speak English these days anyhow.... Paid EFL teaching positions are extremely difficult to find.....and a job search would most likely be an exercise in futility (and very costly too!). The Dominican Republic is a very expensive tourist island resort aka place to live...and caters mainly to wealthy tourists from the NORTH! Shocked
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Hi.. Reply with quote

Tuition at Stanford in 1970 was 1500 a year. If someone made 2000/month (plus all living expenses paid) in the 1970s, that is a year of Stanford tuition fully paid plus 500 left over..and living expenses covered, too. (If you assume the 1970s means 1979, fine..you can up the cost of Stanford to 1600/year. That still leaves you with 400/month plus living expenses paid.)

In 2015 500/month plus all living expenses paid is about an average offer for Latin America--without airfare or visa costs covered. So.. no one ever made 2000/month plus all expenses paid consulting for hotels in the 1970s because "I know a few languages".
abbott123

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: I taught at the Ashton School in 2005 to 2007 the offer..... Reply with quote

The original OP's offer was legitimate. I had a salary at Ashton of 2,100 even a month with all of the other benefits mentioned. International Schools are not your standard language school and pay a much higher salary and benefits. It was one of the best places I ever worked at. By the way schools like Ashton only hire English speaking teachers from English speaking countries locals teach only Spanisn and Sociales classes to comply with local requirements. The teachers at schools like Ashton deserve their pay and benefits since they must have a 4 year BA. TEFL certificates are not even close to what you need to teach at a K to 12 International School. The language school beat and International schools are 2 entirely different animals when it comes to teaching. Very Happy
CTravel32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: It's now 2014!! but.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
That offer could not have been genuine! So beware of this school. To compare: In Ecuador I taught at an elite private school; I got 450/month, no housing help, my visa was covered--which is unusual for Ecuador-- but my airfare wasn't... and Ecuador is actually not as poor as people think. I was there in 2011..in 2014 I had a job offer of 600/month--which they assured me was more than they paid other teachers since I have a lot of experience-- and no visa, housing or airfare help.

Nonsense. A reputable school most likely will not pay such low salaries. I have been making between 1400-1700/month during my 4 years in the area. 2100 might be towards the high but not unheard of!
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way,

What is cost of living like in DR? I just got a job offer for a school in DR and I am leaning towards leaving Guatemala once the year ends in early June.

When it is all said and done, and rent, taxes, internet and other utilities are taken care of, I think I would be walking away with about 1000 USD/month. Well, plus I am sure a decent chunk of what is left would go towards food so maybe 700 left over? Is that decent for the capital city?

How is it living in SD? I assume super hot and humid, which I admit I will struggle with. How about general culture, food, things to do on the weekends (and nearby beaches)?
yurii

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Santo-Domingo?displayCurrency=USD
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very expensive to live in the Domincan Republic nowadays...used to be affordable decades ago...but now so many retirees and tourists from the North make it difficult just to get by as a TEFL teacher. However if your earning $3,000 + per month + free accomodation it is doable. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: