Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think happened w/ my skype interview for a job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTravel32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: What do you think happened w/ my skype interview for a job? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just about to finish my first year at my current (international) school. I have been sending out resumes to get a feel for the level of interest at a few specific schools that I am interested in before I decide if I want to come back for a second year at my current school.

I sent one resume out to an (international) school on Sunday night, via the school website. On Monday at 7:15 am I had a response stating the school thought I would be a good fit for a certain grade and asked if I could send the contact details for 3 references and a few dates and times that I would be free for a skype interview. So I sent all of that out before 7:30 the same day. I gave 2 different times for 2 different dates, Wednesday and Thursday and they replied saying Wednesday was great so I added them on skype. All of my contacts had replied by Wednesday, by the way. Also, due to the time difference the interview had to be during school hours.

On Wednesday the skype interview started and within 90 seconds I heard a knock at my door. I normally have this time off but I was asked to replace a class for a sick teacher, last minute. I ran back to the computer and apologized profusely saying I was being asked to cover a class last minute and I was disappointed because I was really looking forward to having the interview. The HR guy from the school seemed understanding, said he knew how crazy schools could get sometimes and said we could try my other date and time given in the email. In other words, the next day.

(Post 1/2)
CTravel32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure I sent a message via skype just a few minutes later saying, once again, that I was so sorry about the last minute surprise and that I looked forward to talking the next day, on Thursday.

Well, Thursday came and went, no contact via skype from the guy. So Thursday night I sent an email saying that I was sorry I missed him on Thursday and asking if he was free to talk on Friday. No response.

My wife has been working in HR for years and was stumped, she thought it was quite odd. I asked her if maybe he was annoyed about the class replacement and she said "I really do not think so, it just shows you are still dedicated to your current job even if you are looking for a new one and that can never be a bad thing."

The only thing I can think of is that the school is in a hurry to hire a teacher and likely had an interview directly after mine with someone with similar qualifications, it was a good interview and they went with that candidate.

Still, it is now Monday and no word yet. I figure I should just move on. My wife reassured me that HR can be super busy and maybe he has had no time since Wednesday but just the same, keep looking for other schools.

Any thoughts? The school seemed very promising.

(Post 2/2)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have no further interest in contacting you because they've already selected another candidate.

Don't dwell on it; these things happen. Move on.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed as such. They were really moving rapidly, it was Wednesday or never/nothing, for me at least and as far as I could tell. Oh well, moving on!
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, if they don't even have the common and professional courtesy to contact you to let you know the score, then do you want to work for them anyway?

I wouldn't.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you wouldn't. They're flakes.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you wouldn't. They're flakes.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depechemodefan1966 wrote:
Besides, if they don't even have the common and professional courtesy to contact you to let you know the score, then do you want to work for them anyway?

I wouldn't.

So true. I think if a job application reaches a certain point, like a second in person/skype interview they should at least send an email letting you know that they picked someone else.

I am crossing my fingers for another opportunity, however.

Last edited by CTravel32 on Fri May 04, 2018 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got a message 2 days ago, they were on (a short) vacation. Perhaps labor day. Scheduled a new time and had a 45 minute interview today.

Thanks for the input folks, my mind races too fast sometimes, it seems.

Last edited by CTravel32 on Sat May 05, 2018 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, if you've given a time and date for an interview, and had that confirmed with the organisation - and then, 90 seconds into that interview you bow out - this looks flaky to an interviewer! It looks as if you aren't committed to the interview or to the new job. Yes, I get it that you're a dedicated teacher, but a) you shouldn't be interviewing on your employer's time and on your employer's PC; and b) you should set aside uninterrupted time for your interview. (So that could be in the late afternoon / evening in your own home, for example.)

It seems that everything has been resolved for you now, but in my experience, potential employers like to know that you're serious about dedicating time to them. Plus, of course, it takes time to set up an interview and nobody likes to be bounced out of one after they've allocated time to it.

In any case, good luck with your applications!
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Yes, I get it that you're a dedicated teacher, but a) you shouldn't be interviewing on your employer's time and on your employer's PC; and b) you should set aside uninterrupted time for your interview. (So that could be in the late afternoon / evening in your own home, for example.)

Agreed, what happens if the boss walks in on your interview? Interview at home on your internet connection and on your own time. It's a lesson learned. I've never had issues (when arranging Skype interviews) on explaining time zone differences and current class commitments.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTravel32 wrote:
Well, got a message 2 days ago, they were on (a short) vacation. Perhaps labor day. Scheduled a new time and had a 45 minute interview today.

Seems you need to practice patience. Smile
CTravel32

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
a) you shouldn't be interviewing on your employer's time and on your employer's PC; and b)!

Well, sadly with time difference/employer limitations (they are very very busy, I usually take a time they offer) it just can not be helped. Plus it was on my personal laptop I brought from home.

nomad soul wrote:
CTravel32 wrote:

Seems you need to practice patience. Smile

Indeed! For sure something I am still getting better with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: