Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with reverse culture shock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough money you can insulate yourselves from the difficulties of mixing when you get back to the land where you grew up.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came back to Scotland after two years teaching in Saudi Arabia in 1972 I had a bulging wallet, A few months later I was in the Psych Ward. Going crazy is easy. You can label it "Reverse Culture Shock" or anything you want.

It took me a long time to come to terms with it.
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with reverse culture shock Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
**QUESTION (for anyone): Just throwing this out there...

Do you think the quality of life, level of services/products, housing quality, language barriers, etc. of your time overseas have an impact on the level and length of reverse culture you experience when you return home? For example, would someone teaching in Haiti for a couple of years have a tougher time adjusting home compared to a teacher who worked in Moscow?

Well, if it’s regarding things that are difficult to deal with after returning to my home country then I’d say it was because the foreign country where I was living had much better services/products, etc. The primary categories for me are food, mass transit, and (most recently added to the list after experiencing WeChat Wallet) modes of payment.

As for the primary topic of this thread, having been back to my home country for a few fairly long stints (ranging between six months and two years), there are two ways I mitigate reverse culture shock:

1. When you go “home”, don’t think of it as “going back”. You only go forward.

2. Spend time with your close friends and family (even when you don’t really feel like it) and be interested in what their doing now. Don’t try to reminisce on past experiences with them.

Anyway, cool thread. A lot of interesting posts on here.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about "going forward" vs "going back," isitts.

Another perspective about mitigating reverse culture shock:

How to Return Home After an Assignment Abroad
HBR | October 24, 2017
Source: https://hbr.org/2017/10/how-to-return-home-after-an-assignment-abroad

Start thinking about how you want to incorporate the new cultural styles you’ve learned and come to appreciate into your repertoire back home. For example, perhaps you’ve learned to be more outspoken abroad, but come back to your native culture where such behavior is less acceptable. In this case, you have a couple options:
    • Take on a blended cultural style. Cultivate a new cultural style which represents a hybrid of the two styles — something that is a bit different from the way you originally behaved back home before going abroad, but not quite as different as you were when fully adapted to the new culture. There is no right or wrong way here. The blend will take different forms depending on your preferences, how much you did indeed adapt, and what you find acceptable back home — both for yourself and in the context where you work and socialize.

• Create segmented cultural styles. Develop multiple and distinct cultural selves — the one you had back home and a new style consistent with what you learned when you lived and worked abroad. Rather than apply these styles in places where they aren’t suitable (and possibly getting quite jumbled in the process), separate them just as you would clothes for different occasions. For example, in a meeting at work with people from your native culture, you might act with your typical, default cultural style. But when meeting new clients from the culture you just returned from, you might adopt an entirely different cultural persona.
(End of excerpt)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US State Dept. on reverse culture shock:

Quote:
Craig Storti's book, The Art of Coming Home, presents key variables that affect reentry stress:
    1. Voluntary versus involuntary reentry: involuntary is worse.
    2. Expected versus unexpected reentry: unexpected is harder.
    3. Age: reentry may be easier for older people who have been through more life transitions.
    4. Previous reentry experience: the first time is worse.
    5. Length of the overseas stay: the longer the sojourn, the greater the chance for adaptation; hence the harder it may be to leave and come home.
    6. Degree of interaction with the overseas culture: the more involved you become in the local culture the harder it may be to leave it behind.
    7. The reentry environment: the more familiar and supportive the easier the reentry.
    8. Amount of interaction with the home culture during the overseas sojourn: the more familiar the returnee is with changes in the home culture the easier the reentry.
    9. Degree of difference between the overseas and the home culture: the greater the difference, the harder the reentry.

Additionally...

Quote:
Often repatriates expect their home to be just the same as it was when they left. While you were outside the country, events and new developments, however, have changed the fabric of your old community.  These natural changes can be shocking and disorienting upon return.  You may be surprised by how much your hometown has grown (or shrunk). They're building a new strip mall here and tearing down your old elementary school there. It may seem both crowded and empty at the same time.

There may be new members of your extended family – babies born to siblings – whom you have never met. Your relationships with people may have changed too, and your friends lives may have evolved. Friends may have changed their social group.  Relationships that were once strong may no longer be the same. Additionally, you may not be going home to the same hometown location.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: