Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New, could use help with career planning & courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: New, could use help with career planning & courses Reply with quote

Hey! I've lurked for a while at this site and actually signed up a while back but didn't post...

I'm entering my second year of university, and have given very serious consideration to being an overseas ESL teacher as a lifetime career. I've read up on all the benefits and drawbacks of this lifestyle, and overall it fits my personality and desired lifestyle quite well.

I had a few questions... I'm debating what to major in for university, and had it narrowed down to linguistics and East Asian studies, as they interest me greatly and I feel it would compliment my career nicely. Would it also be beneficial to take up one or two second languages? I'm definitely going to learn Japanese, but was thinking either French or Russian as well.

Would learning two languages simultaneously be much more difficult than one? I mean, of course there's twice the workload, but if I didn't take the second language, I'd still be investing the time in a different subject.

Also, I was considering doing a minor in Geographic Information Systems. Would this be at all beneficial, perhaps to do some side work online?

On another note, is it better to hit up a new country every couple years, get a contract, and then move on somewhere else when it finishes, or do employers frown on this and it becomes a liability? I'd love that at the early stages, but would strongly prefer settling down in Japan someday.

Yeah, a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback people may have Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
I'm debating what to major in for university, and had it narrowed down to linguistics and East Asian studies, as they interest me greatly and I feel it would compliment my career nicely.
Also, I was considering doing a minor in Geographic Information Systems. Would this be at all beneficial, perhaps to do some side work online?

(That would be "complement" your career.)

It's great to have academic interests, but your choices may not always match what employers require. Additionally, you recently entered your sophomore year. Requirements for TESOL jobs in your chosen countries may change by the time you finish your BA.

That said, if you're serious about teaching overseas for the long haul, your best bet is to major in Education or English, obtain a k12 teaching cert/license from your home country, and get a couple of years of experience under your belt before heading abroad. (BTW, degree minors generally aren't recognized by foreign employers/governments.)

and wrote:
Would it also be beneficial to take up one or two second languages? I'm definitely going to learn Japanese, but was thinking either French or Russian as well.

Although fluency in a second language can be a plus for day-to-day living, it is not a requirement to teach English. In fact, you'll rarely see foreign language skills listed in TEFL job ads. Learn Japanese if it interests you and fits your goal of eventually settling down in Japan.

Lastly wrote:
Is it better to hit up a new country every couple years, get a contract, and then move on somewhere else when it finishes, or do employers frown on this and it becomes a liability?

The better employers want to see growth in your professional development and not how many countries you've been to.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Although fluency in a second language can be a plus for day-to-day living, it is not a requirement to teach English. In fact, you'll rarely see foreign language skills listed in TEFL job ads. Learn Japanese if it interests you and fits your goal of eventually settling down in Japan.

Wouldn't learning a second language give you much more credibility as a teacher of ESL students? You know, walk the walk and all that? lol. Also, I imagine it would help you understand the needs of students better if you were one yourself...

nomad soul wrote:

The better employers want to see growth in your professional development and not how many countries you've been to.

What is meant by this? Taking courses every year or so to stay current and relevant in teaching methods, and working towards perhaps a Delta, or a master's in teaching? I figured that was pretty standard for any career path, or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

Thanks for the advice tho, I appreciate it Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
Wouldn't learning a second language give you much more credibility as a teacher of ESL students? You know, walk the walk and all that? lol. Also, I imagine it would help you understand the needs of students better if you were one yourself...

Sure, having the experience of studying a second language or living in a non-English speaking country gives you an understanding of what language aquisition is like; you can empathize with the students' issues. However, you'd be hard pressed to see foreign language requirements in most TEFL job ads because employers are expecting teachers to mainly use English in class. (For many EFL students, class time offers the only opportunity to be immersed in an English language environment.) Additionally, it's more important that you recognize the learners' language interference and can effectively use strategies to help them work through those challenges. That's what employers want to see.

GreenHorse wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

What is meant by this? Taking courses every year or so to stay current and relevant in teaching methods, and working towards perhaps a Delta, or a master's in teaching? I figured that was pretty standard for any career path, or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

That's exactly what I meant. However, not everyone is interested in professional development; folks have different reasons for why they teach EFL.

Check out the following related discussions:.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
GreenHorse wrote:

Sure, having the experience of studying a second language or living in a non-English speaking country gives you an understanding of what language aquisition is like; you can empathize with the students' issues. However, you'd be hard pressed to see foreign language requirements in most TEFL job ads because employers are expecting teachers to mainly use English in class. (For many EFL students, class time offers the only opportunity to be immersed in an English language environment.) Additionally, it's more important that you recognize the learners' language interference and can effectively use strategies to help them work through those challenges. That's what employers want to see.

GreenHorse wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

That's exactly what I meant. However, not everyone is interested in professional development; folks have different reasons for why they teach EFL.

Check out the following related discussions:.

Personally, I'd have little respect as a student for a language teacher who never learned a second language. But that's just me Razz

I really appreciate your advice Smile It sounds like pretty much any other job/career; you get better with effort.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:

Personally, I'd have little respect as a student for a language teacher who never learned a second language.

Students generally don't care. Remember, they need English for their XYZ goal, which is almost never "learn to be a language teacher". They don't necessarily understand or care about the details of good teaching practice/training. If the teacher knows English, that's good enough (for them).
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese unis don't want you talking Chinese to their students. They have any number of bi-lingual locals who can do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: