Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete newbie help and advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZomcQ

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Complete newbie help and advice needed Reply with quote

Hi there,

I would firstly like to thank anyone in advance for any advice you give me, this forum seems amazing!

So where do I begin.. I am from London, UK and I am nearly 26. I embarked on a travelling journey last November where I am currently residing in Byron Bay, Australia on a working holiday visa. My profession over the last few years has been in finance (I am not a qualified accountant), however I have found it to be very mundane and not fulfilling at all.

Whilst on my travels I have decided that I will start a bachelors degree in English language and literature with an online university with the view to teach English when I am qualified and hopefully also I will be able to mix in my love of travel and new culture and do this abroad!

Now my visa runs out in Australia at the end of October and I would like to continue my travels. My plan is to try and do this degree whilst travelling (I have thought long and hard about this and I know I can do it this way, I have the determination!). I would love to try and get some early experience with teaching by doing it abroad, but the problem is, as I do not already hold a degree or a TEFL of any kind, I wanted to know how possible, if at all, this will be?

I am not chasing money here, I know that if there were to be an opportunity for me it would most likely be low paid, which is fine, I am just looking for a wage that will pay my rent and allow me to live a little, not spending at every turn. I just wanted to know if anyone could explain to me which countries would likely hire me as a native English speaker and where I would find these job posts, agencies to maybe go to?

I have found a few companies offering internships in Spain, but I had a look into them and you actually have to pay for the internship and then the wages would barely cover your living expenses.

Sorry for babbling, just thought it would be best to get as much information on the original post as possible.

Thanks again for anyone who might be able to help me get a better insight into this topic.

Thanks Smile
Zoe
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China always attracts because of low barriers to entry - at least historically.
A degree and some work exp is usually sufficient.
Some Chinese unis (Dalian Maritime being one) run Chinese language classes which teachers access at cut (but still expensive) rates.
I wonder if an online uni would accept this as course credits?
Problem with China is you would have to return to UK to apply for Z (work) visa.
Chinese uni work takes care of accommodation and most of the airfares.
PM me if you want more info.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZomcQ wrote:
My plan is to try and do this degree whilst travelling (I have thought long and hard about this and I know I can do it this way, I have the determination!).
I would love to try and get some early experience with teaching by doing it abroad, but the problem is, as I do not already hold a degree or a TEFL of any kind, I wanted to know how possible, if at all, this will be?

I just wanted to know if anyone could explain to me which countries would likely hire me as a native English speaker and where I would find these job posts, agencies to maybe go to?

Cambodia and Myanmar as well as much of Europe don't require a degree for legal work. Ditto for Mexico, Central America, and parts of South America.

That said, some things to consider:
    • You'll have to be in country and knocking on doors to secure a job -- positions aren't recruited from abroad.
    • Plan on completing a CELTA course before embarking on your job hunt. The course is very likely offered in your target countries.
    • You'll have to budget for startup costs (e.g., flights, ground transport, lodging, food, visa costs, etc.) in addition to maintaining an emergency fund. That's each time you decide to move to a new country.
    • Studying online requires a strong, stable Internet connection, which could be costly and limit where you can live/work.
    • Without a degree, your pay will be low. Therefore, be realistic if you expect to fund a 4-year BA while eking out a living and traveling.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear. It's pretty well impossible to get a uni job in-country in China.
Even if you did get a level of interest the return home is as good as mandatory.
There's a Job Offer Checklist on Dave's somewhere. Give some food for thought.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Even if you did get a level of interest the return home is as good as mandatory.

My understanding is that a BA is required for legal work in China. That's no longer the case?
Tudor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English First in Indonesia - branches across the archipelago - would probably give you some work but don't expect to be legal or to earn very much.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:

My understanding is that a BA is required for legal work in China. That's no longer the case?

'A degree and some work exp is usually sufficient.'
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

'A degree and some work exp is usually sufficient.'

I think Nomad was pointing to the fact that the OP clearly stated they had no degree.
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, not so many years ago I was in a similar position to yourself.

However, teaching was my primary goal not traveling, so if the traveling comes before teaching for you, best to ignore the rest of this post and backpack around the numerous countries previously listed in this thread picking up a bit of ‘teaching’ work as you go and forget the degree, certificate etc..

First, if teaching is a long term career choice then first do as Nomad suggests and get a Celta. This will at least show an employer you’re serious. It is a major pain in the arse to get the cert later, and experience before completing it is not taken into account by some employers.

Second, when in your position, now armed with a Celta in-hand, country should be at the bottom of your preference list. Many Asian countries have degree requirements, but what you’re looking for is an employer that can get you a legal work permit. These employers can reside in countries that ‘require’ a degree.

Furthermore, your prospective employer needs to be one that has you teaching all four skills with your favored group of learners. The employer should also be the very best one that will take you on. Do through research before accepting an offer.

Finally, you must complete the degree at all costs. Little traveling involved here, just commitment. Soon as you’re done most of the world opens up to you and so you begin moving up the food chain.

Best of luck. Keep your eyes on the prize.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

My advice would be to get into writing. Teaching EFL is boring too after a year or two and the pay sucks unless you work for oil companies/some uni and/or the military. Work in a language school and it's death by a 1000 cuts to your soul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: