Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visa and RP In Context Of Entry, Transfer Etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Z Visa and RP In Context Of Entry, Transfer Etc Reply with quote

The waters seem to be muddy on some things regarding visas to enter the country for work and residence permits, particularly in the contexts of 1) entry and 2) transferring from one school to another in-country.

I'm not an expert but some things seem clear to me (and to others, from what I can tell)

* A Z Visa is required to ENTER China for the purpose of lawful work

* The Z Visa is normally obtained in the foreigner's home country, or in a third country in which the foreigner has legal residence at the time (I have done this both ways, as have others)

* The Z Visa is obtained BEFORE entering China ** (a visa is, in fact, a permit to enter and temporarily stay in a country for a designated purpose, thus, the many different types of visa)

* Upon entry to China, the Z Visa must be changed to a Residence Permit within 30 days, upon the issuance of which the Z Visa is Cancelled / Voided. (There is no longer a need for a Visa after one has a Residence Permit)

* If a foreigner wants to later *transfer* the Residence Permit (NOT THE (nonexistent) VISA, although it is commonly misidentified as such) from one employer 'or sponsor to another, certain process must be followed (release letter, etc.) A Residence Permit, like a Z Visa, is tied to a specific employer or sponsor.

* ** Entering the country on a visa other than a "Z" and somehow winding up with a Residence Permit and FEC, in-country, HAS happened (I do know this from my own experience) however, in such a case that this occurred strictly inside Mainland China, there is No "Z" Visa involved (different than the case of Z Visas obtained in Hong Kong)

* It is my understanding that the possibility of the example above (completely within Mainland China) occurring has been eliminated, and it may not have been lawful in the first place
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a short snappy summary.
I'll link to it in the Job Offer Checklist thread.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Source Reply with quote

Do you have a Chinese government website you could post where this is all spelled out in Mandarin and then translated into English for the people who don't read and speak Chinese well?
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Source Reply with quote

geosmiley wrote:
Do you have a Chinese government website you could post where this is all spelled out in Mandarin and then translated into English for the people who don't read and speak Chinese well?

Eh? Sorry, but don't understand why one would request such a link to be posted.

There are seven points in my post above, six of which are factual and the last is a comment or opinion, but one I strongly believe to be true and pretty sure there are others here who would back me on it.

Of the six points which I believe to be roughly 100% factual, I further believe that at least 90-plus odd percent of foreign teachers who have worked in China for more than a year or two would, again, agree with their veracity.

If one still has his or her doubts or for whatever reason feels the need, one can go look up "a Chinese government website" for oneself ... be my guest.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Source Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
geosmiley wrote:

Eh? Sorry, but don't understand why one would request such a link to be posted.

There are seven points in my post above, six of which are factual and the last is a comment or opinion, but one I strongly believe to be true and pretty sure there are others here who would back me on it.

Your 7 points seem pretty accurate in my opinion and are easy enough for most to understand.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with what you wrote.

Here is the "official" site http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/wgrlh/lhqz/sblhqz_660598/t1095034.shtml only Chinese though.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Noted Reply with quote

[quote="nimadecaomei"]I would agree with what you wrote.

Here is the "official" site http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/wgrlh/lhqz/sblhqz_660598/t1095034.shtml only Chinese though.[/quote]

Thanks for the interesting post. My Chinese fiance and I will go over this tonight and post any striking resmblance. However, this is China and all things are local and negotiable., i.e., there isn't just one way and there is no universal application of any rule or set of rules.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Noted Reply with quote

geosmiley wrote:
... this is China and all things are local and negotiable., i.e., there isn't just one way and there is no universal application of any rule or set of rules.

关系 can certainly factor in, and I have noted that in the past time, I did go to China with a non-Z visa and, without leaving mainland China, got a residence permit and FEC within a few months, without ever having a Z visa.

It may also be worth noting that in China, rules and sets of rules do exist, and that, particularly in recent years, many Chinese and also foreigners have been sent to jail or prison for disregarding them. Notably, rules regarding corruption have been increasingly enforced.

I just recently learned that the longtime Principal of the high school in the city where I once worked was arrested and sent down for such rule-breaking. Sad thing about it is that, to the knowledge of myself and my former FT colleagues there, he was not nearly so involved in said activities as were "others", who apparently have remained unscathed by the law (so far). Just like in a movie about dirty cops, he may have been pressured to take a slice just so the others could trust him.

I think it would be fair to say that rules (and sets of rules) are being increasingly enforced, with increasing levels of uniformity, across the provinces.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful post for newbies, clear and concise, and seems pretty much spot on to me.
Back in 2014 I went to HK to get my Z-Visa processed (like many others at the time). But you are the first person that I've heard of that went from L-Visa to RP on the mainland. Your employer must have had serious guanxi Wink
I wonder if the HK loophole is still open or have they cracked down on this now? (although it probably also depends on employer's guanxi)
geosmiley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Don't Count On It Reply with quote

With 34 province-level administrative units in China it might be just as fair to say that you shouldn't count on anything being a universal truth. However, I would agree that all the recent rule changes seem like an attempt to change this. Will it work, I think not, but opinions will vary. China is a very diverse country at the local level.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
Back in 2014 I went to HK to get my Z-Visa processed (like many others at the time). But you are the first person that I've heard of that went from L-Visa to RP on the mainland. Your employer must have had serious guanxi Wink

That happened in 2010. I entered on an L visa, which was replaced before expiry with an F, which was replaced with an RP. I freshly recall that I was asked to pay an extra "administrative fee" the last time before the RP was issued. Zooming in on that memory, I can also recall the FAO of my school having a very long and at times somewhat heated conversation with the immigration officers while I waited, and that at some point they wanted to have a look at me face to face. I can't remember exactly but I think they asked me some questions which I answered to the best of, with the help of the FAO as interpreter, of course.

That must have been when they asked for the cash, and I recall we had to walk to find an ATM as I hadn't brought any money. Looking back, I'd say it was mostly just a pure case of "cash for corruption".

I've had three jobs in China and also a fourth visit strictly for tourism so I have more Chinese visa and RP stickers in my passport than for any other country by far, though I lived in Indonesia considerably longer than I have in China. I think the successive L, F and RP stickers in particular may have been the cause of the funny looks I often see on the faces of Immigration at airports when they look through the pages. Laughing
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Count On It Reply with quote

geosmiley wrote:
With 34 province-level administrative units in China it might be just as fair to say that you shouldn't count on anything being a universal truth. However, I would agree that all the recent rule changes seem like an attempt to change this. Will it work, I think not, but opinions will vary. China is a very diverse country at the local level.

And I'll go so far as to agree that rooting out and eliminating "rule flexibility", assuming that is the goal of the top leadership, is a very difficult and lengthy process, if not an impossibility to do so with complete thoroughness. China and Indonesia are two countries with which I'm familiar that are both struggling with this kind of effort and the inevitable resistance it meets.

Of course as I think you allude to, there are at least a couple of different factors in this "diversity": one being simple practice of corruption or lack of it, and one being simply different province and prefecture-level offices having a different understanding of proper practices or taking different amounts of time - or having different levels of willingness - to understand and implement changes mandated from levels above them.

Still, in regard to the first factor, when folks in both low and high places start going to prison, it does tend to make people sit up and take notice.

Anyway, my post was intended to set out what the rules or set of rules and "normal procedure" are, not so much to deny the existence of any loopholes (see above).
geosmiley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Questionable Source Reply with quote

The URL posted on this thread as the factual basis for opinions expressed in 2018 dates from 2013-2014. For me, that calls its applicability into question.
None the less, I've scheduled an appointment with the Director of the International Office at my university to discuss my visa and, if she doesn't respond with "Why do you need to know that?" to every question I ask, I'll share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: