Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offer From Cakabey School (Ozel Cakabey Okullari) in Izmir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Offer From Cakabey School (Ozel Cakabey Okullari) in Izmir Reply with quote

I have an offer to teach in the primary school at a salary offer of 6*** TL / month.

I can't find any specific thread about this school (which may be a good thing) nor even more than a passing mention of it in two or three general threads on Izmir.

Not having kept up with the latest info on Turkey in a couple of years or so, when I was told the salary was 6*** TL a month I thought that was a mindbogglingly bodacious and copacetic figure, however I quickly learned how precipitously the lira has dropped against the US Dollar since I last took note. Still, it seems not half bad and they tell me Izmir is relatively cheap for a big city, at least compared with Istanbul.

Any comments, opinions on the salary or regarding the school generally, working conditions, etc (if anybody around here knows) would be appreciated.

mysterytrain
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody around? Otterman Ollie? Nicchta? Anybody?

Hel-OOOO?
La Reve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have read the news about Turkey, and the mass firings of thousands of local teachers, you might realize that Turkey is not the best place to be now - for local and foreign teachers.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted and aware, thanks.

Oh, I see my mistake .... I shouldn't have casually dropped "not having kept up with the latest info on Turkey" into my previous post, as it surely gave the wrong impression. What I meant was simply that I hadn't kept up with, specifically, the value of the lira against the dollar and salaries for native speaker ELT jobs there. I'm certainly aware of the political situation, including the school closings and sacking of thousands of local teachers, police soldiers and et cetera, but some schools seem to still be chugging along.
eener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Turkish friend of mine taught at Cakabey some 6 or 7 years ago... Overall, I don't think she had many complaints about the job or the school. Her main issue was its location. It's actually outside of the city proper and was quite a commute for her. If you decide to work there, it would probably be a good idea to find a place nearby. Traffic in Izmir can be congested, and I think she spent upwards of a couple of hours a day commuting, using the school-provided transportation. Although she did live on the other side of town.

The salary, tho, might be more of a problem. While Izmir doesn't tend to have the range of money-guzzling opportunities of Istanbul, 6000 TL isn't going to go very far. I suppose you can live on it, if accommodation is included in your package, but it's certainly no princely sum.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I had worked out a rough budget which seemed reasonable based on the numbers provided at Numbeo or some similar site, that would have actually allowed us to save a small amount each month, probably about as much as I could save in Thailand on a normal salary there, or a bit more (3-400 USD / month).

In any case, I've just got word from the school that they've completely screwed me over ... according to the Principal, a teacher at the school who had decided to leave the country changed his / her mind and elected to stay, and they don't need me any more.

Funny, they offered me the contract more than two weeks ago, and didn't bother to tell me about this until today. "Welcome to Turkey" Laughing
eener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that the opportunity's vanished... I wouldn't quite call it getting completely screwed over though: they sent you an offer 2 weeks ago & no obligations are implied until it's signed.

Anyway... if you're still thinking of Turkey, it's probably unrealistic to expect to save 300-400 USD a month on a salary of 1200. Unless, of course, you have a 2nd income.... You say 'us' so perhaps you do. Or unless you intend to live like a monk. Turkey's just not the cheapo destination it once was.

Good luck on your search.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they send me an offer and then decide to renege, but don't bother to let me know, instead relying on a passive-aggressive expectation for me to be a mindreader, then yes, I would call that being screwed over (see my thread in "General Discussion").
eener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho-hum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: