Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certifying a TEFL obtained from a country different to own

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zippymeep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Certifying a TEFL obtained from a country different to own Reply with quote

Hello, I'm stressing out over my TEFL certification as it was done by an Irish school but i'm British. I tried to have my TEFL apostilled by my government but they said they can't as it isn't an UK based company. The question I would like to ask if I get it certified by the Irish government would it still be valid for me to work in Vietnam?

Thank you for any help Smile
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The document must be apostilled by the government of the country in which the certificate awarder is based.

If your certificate is from Ireland, then the Irish government must issue the apostlille. Of course, the Irish Governement would have to recognise and trust this company as qualified to issue certificates.

A similar example would be the CELTA (issued by Cambridge University) or Trinity Cert TESOL (issued by Trinity College London). Irrespective of your nationality, only the British Government can issue an apostille for these, as they are both UK organisations. In the above cases, these certificates are issued by widely recognised and respected organisations which are well known to the British government so there should be no problems obtaining such an apostille. They would be unlikely to issue an apostille from ANY company which just claims to be British. I suspect it is the same case in Ireland.

It would be the same for a degree certificate - any apostille can only be given by the government of the university you obtained your degree from, which may not be the same as your nationality. For example, if you had a degree from an Australian university, then only the Australian government can certify that.
Rehcra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question is yes (at least as far as the apostille is concerned; whether it's a suitable certificate is another question).

Just on the off chance that this is TEFL Academy, they actually issue certificates via Training Qualifications UK, so the FCO should accept that. It's hard to comment further without knowing exactly what you asked which part of the government. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: