Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insider info on ESL job in Bali (Spoiler; it's not good).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkozak1990

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Insider info on ESL job in Bali (Spoiler; it's not good). Reply with quote

I wanted to share some information about those looking to teach ESL in Bali.

What I've found is it is pretty much impossible to find a legit, well-paying job unless you have a teaching credential in your home country, 2 years experience and are at least 25 years old.

The only exception to this is through English First (EF). You must have the direct email address of the hiring manager, which I found, to be considered for this location. I would be happy to share it with you over PM. I completed an interview, and here are the details:

$640 USD PER MONTH.
NO allowance for accomodation.
NO flight reimbursement.
They include 1 night hotel the day you land, and then you will be taken to apartments to tour. They tell me average rent cost is $300-400 per month.
40 hour work week.
Almost exclusively online teaching in a cubicle with adult students.
Hours generally are 2 pm to 10 pm.
2 days per week off.
Some vacation time which must be accumulated (perhaps 2 weeks?)
Sketchy work visa situation. Essentially they tell you to work on a tourist visa for 2 months (which is technically illegal), and then they will "fly you to singapore" where you will get re-stamped and obtain your "official work visa"). I doubt this and I believe they are essentially sending you on a visa run.

So if you're ok with being paid $4 per hour for your work, and maybe having $200-300 per month to live on (food, transportation, entertainment) then ask me and I'll give you the contact info.

I know the cost of living is lower there but this is just insulting.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such are the joys of wanting to work in a tourist trap.
You compete with all the other backpackers looking to extend their stay in "paradise" in a race to the bottom.

Suck it up, get qualified for a proper job or get out of the tourist traps.

Tudor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hardly 'insider info' - this branch of EF have been going for years and are well-known for their poor salaries (as indeed are many EFs). I guess it must suit some people otherwise they'd have shut up shop years ago - no one's forced to work there.

Other language schools in Bali (Denpasar) are TBI and IALF, both of which offer better deals than EF but also have higher expectations of their teachers.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Insider info on ESL job in Bali (Spoiler; it's not good) Reply with quote

bkozak1990 wrote:

$640 USD PER MONTH.

They tell me average rent cost is $300-400 per month.
So if you're ok with being paid $4 per hour for your work, and maybe having $200-300 per month to live on (food, transportation, entertainment) then ask me and I'll give you the contact info.

I know the cost of living is lower there but this is just insulting.

So what's leftover for savings after your standard monthly living expenses??
eihpos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid, but why do they need to get teachers over there if its almost all online? I'm genuinely curious about this! I remember looking into it years ago but didn't take it very far. I think I was put off by the online teaching actually!
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid, but why do they need to get teachers over there if its almost all online? I'm genuinely curious about this! I remember looking into it years ago but didn't take it very far. I think I was put off by the online teaching actually!

It's a fair question as the EF online business model sounds outdated.

Another thought is with more online English teaching businesses opening up all the time, why would there be a desire to work for EF? Why not live in Bali (or anywhere) and work for one of them for significantly more money and flexible hours and location.
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayman wrote:
eihpos wrote:

It's a fair question as the EF online business model sounds outdated.

Another thought is with more online English teaching businesses opening up all the time, why would there be a desire to work for EF? Why not live in Bali (or anywhere) and work for one of them for significantly more money and flexible hours and location.

My.guess is that if they employed mobile instructors, they would have to pay more money, like you eluded to, and they see Bali as the main selling point for the job. I was never a fan personally. Give me Karimunjawa any day. That said, Bali does look mightily attractive from my China 2nd tier inland city living.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: that sucks Reply with quote

I was in Bali 2 months ago and you'll never survive on that amount of money even if you eat Babi Guling every day on the streets and don't drink. A pint of Bintang was more than $3. I stayed in everything from huts to 5* hotels there and didn't find a room under $30 a night (which I didn't stay in). My best pal lives there, speaks Indonesian and has been there years but he got out of TEFL long ago. The thing I noticed about Bali is that it isn't that cheap. You can spend a lot there if you try Smile
hotornot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Go to Bali and Teach Online - that's the solution Reply with quote

Teaching Online now offers qualified teachers
the chance to live in the country of their surfing dreams.

You can make 2000 to 3000 dollars a month if you work 20 to 30 hours
per week.

And if you are clever you will have two or three companies on the go so that you always have enough shifts to make the payday you set your goals to.

Working in Bali is bad, and when I spoke to the people at EF over 10 years ago they were honest and told me that low salary and that I would need two or three jobs to make a living on a 'teachers' salary.

Too bad for them that you can now TEACH ONLINE and make tons of cash and still surf in the morning and even save for the future.

Say goodbye to low paying jobs and hello to having a life and savings in your account. After all shouldn't your education be valued?! Your a teacher for goodness sakes, you went to a Western Uni, and have a lot of value to offer in terms of education.

If they can' respect that, don't work for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: