Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which city to choose?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmmyshmmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: which city to choose? Reply with quote

hello everyone.
I have an oppurtunity to go teach over in Poland and was given the options of 3 cities. I was wondering if anyone has opinions on these cities or any information that could help my decision. The cities are:
Bydgoszcz, Inowroclaw and Wloclawek.
Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Terrence
cheeseandegg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those 3 cities Bydgoszcz is by far the biggest and most lively. It's the only city that I've been to and is a working city with a good night life.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bydgoszcz for sure. The other two are small towns and, according to the three people I've known who lived there, no fun at all to live in.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third Bydgoszcz. Heard good things about it from other teachers.
shmmyshmmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help everyone.
Khrystene

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: which city to choose? Reply with quote

shmmyshmmy wrote:
hello everyone.
I have an oppurtunity to go teach over in Poland and was given the options of 3 cities. I was wondering if anyone has opinions on these cities or any information that could help my decision. The cities are:
Bydgoszcz, Inowroclaw and Wloclawek.
Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Terrence

Bydgoszcz. Though if you're offered a job by Perfekt Callan School in Inowroclaw, I'd take it. They're good bosses.
nabakow30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the comment about Perfekt- I worked for them in Torun and despite run-ins with the infamous Millenium Service and muggings and blah blah (can happen anywhere) I have NOTHING but fond memories of my time there and respect for the Boss there.....
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I see it's been 12 years since a last posting on this topic.

I thought I would provide an update.

While Bydgoszcz, for me anyway, is still a beautiful city and I still have a flat there, it's used more for my holidays now.

Anybody living there in 2006 and going back now wouldn't recognise it today. It really has changed dramatically since I went there in 2009.

Back then, the schools were practically every other door on Gdanska and the work and money was in abundance. I was working at three schools for two years and the work (and money) was pouring in like a tsunami. At the time I was able to give the landlord of my first flat 4 months rent in advance to pay for the summer months, go off on a holiday around southern Europe and still have money to see me through the summer without worrying.

However, it's all changed now. On Gdanska, there are just three schools now and the best one has very little work for Native Speakers. Today, I would need to work at three schools just to live. The last time I was there, I met an ex-colleague and over coffee, she told me she's working at 3 schools and is struggling and she doesn't have kids.

I spoke to another Native Speaker who's working in three schools but only has 5 lessons a week. He said had had a few privates, but was out on ridiculous hours just to do a few.

As for the other cities mentioned, I cannot comment on them as I have never worked there.

So, please be advised, while Bydgoszcz is till nice and so is the nightlife, the beer is still cheap, the TEFL work has all but dried up, especially outside if IH and I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Thanks for reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: