Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Schools Renege On Contract Offers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that this happens the other way around just as often if not more. School makes a job offer, it is accepted, time and money are invested in arrangement for new teachers arrival and working papers, then sometime between the offer being accepted and the teacher's arrival they back out. It's totally understandable that a school with stick with a teacher who is already physically there whenever possible.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
getbehindthemule wrote:
Sorry for your disappointment, but you've been on the China forums and you know what can happen with contracts/offers. I would have to agree with the other posters and admit that I'd have been very wary of the offer from the get go and particulary once the hesitantcy came into play.

In retrospect, it's clear that I made a serious mistake in waiting so long on them. My judgment was clouded because, as has been suggested, I really wanted the job. I taught in Turkey very briefly (in a Winter English camp) in 2011 and have always wanted to give it a go longer term. I've stubbornly persisted in that desire even after all the negative developments of the past several years there, and the continued fall of the Turkish lira. This job seemed like a good fit as it's in Izmir which should still be relatively safe, moderate climate which would be a good compromise between me and my wife, teaching in a private k12, grades 3 and 4 which is pretty much perfect for me, decent-ish salary (in context).

My "gap year", as mentioned by another poster above, has been extended about 7 times already and into my 50s, with three stops in China, one extended stay in Indonesia (4.5 years, same school), a turn in Thailand and of course other negotiations that fell short of my taking the job. I guess I've been lucky, but I've never encountered a situation in which a school just threw an offer out there - after an interview - as a sort of bluff or ploy and then just disappeared. Obviously, yeah, it happens. Thanks for your insight.

Love your moniker by the way, TW fan by any chance?

Yup, huge Tom fan and Mule Variations is probably my favourite album Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: well.... Reply with quote

This is TEFL.You just don't matter. Get used to it. TEFL is a lifetime of being treated badly by employers, especially schools.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when some of the larger employers treated teachers well. I am thinking of my experiences with the Ministry of Overseas Development (ODA) as successors to the Colonial Office. And two employers I should mention in KSA - Saudi Arabian Airlines and KFUPM.

Smaller employers - especially those in the private sector and those working as contractors were not so good. I remember Kazelly Co. of Jeddah as being particularly BAD. ("So, you need 8 teachers, 2 engineers, 4 cleaners and 5 drivers ? They will be with you next week.")
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: well.... Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
This is TEFL.You just don't matter. Get used to it. TEFL is a lifetime of being treated badly by employers, especially schools.

Yup. That's it exactly. You will never be more than "just a teacher." Get used to it or get out.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: well.... Reply with quote

ntropy wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

Yup. That's it exactly. You will never be more than "just a teacher." Get used to it or get out.

My experiences, with four different employers in three countries, have all been positive. I can honestly say that I've been treated well in TEFL. Sure, there were annoying things that came up with all those jobs, but, I just see that as part of being in the workforce. Same thing could said for every job I've ever had. If others have had a worse time of it then I'm sorry, but, just thought I'd add an alternative viewpoint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: