Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie here and advice needed on job abroad (maybe China)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InaYale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Newbie here and advice needed on job abroad (maybe China) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am a non-native speaker, but have graduated from the University of Cambridge, UK, where I've done a full-time degree course.

I don't have a TEFL degree, but am willing to obtain one (preferably simultaneously with teaching).

Do I have any options and if so where?

P.S. I am from Armenia
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention your degree major.

In terms of where to teach, it really depends on where you can legally work with an Armenian passport. I believe Chinese immigration requires EL teachers to be passport holders from English-speaking countries. Others can confirm that. BTW, there very likely are TEFL jobs in Armenia. (Non-native speakers tend to overlook their home country.)

Also see the recent related thread, A non-native's teaching journey.
InaYale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My degree in Cambridge was in Medieval Studies of the British Isles and Scandinavia. Majors were history and language/literature.
Before gong to Cambridge I have studied English for 6 years at an Armenian University.
I know there are TEFL jobs in Armenia, but the market here is in a very sad situation. I don't want to dwell on it much, but that's the reality - no connections, no job.
So, I teach privately, but its not very comfortable . Also, I would like to develop my career further and teach abroad if possible.

So, if anyone knows countries that I can go to and work, please let me know.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InaYale wrote:
I know there are TEFL jobs in Armenia, but the market here is in a very sad situation. I don't want to dwell on it much, but that's the reality - no connections, no job.

Frankly, even native speakers often have to network and make connections for jobs in their home country. In your case, however, your unrelated degree is a factor. A TESOL-related BA (e.g., English or one in education) would have been beneficial. Regardless, start making those connections in your home country.

and wrote:
So, I teach privately, but its not very comfortable . Also, I would like to develop my career further and teach abroad if possible.

Your passport, zero classroom experience, and unrelated BA put you at a disadvantage for TEFL work in other countries. Cambodia and Vietnam might be an option, but you'd need to be in those countries to scout for work. There's Eastern Europe as well as Mexico and South America. You'd have to be in those countries to find work. Visit those Cafe forums to see what your chances are. Additionally, a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL would help you compete against native speakers and for jobs in Armenia.

See the link I provided in my previous post. Others have asked the same question.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNES with a degree and proof of proficiency (TOEIC / IELTS / TOEFL) you can find work in Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar.
Add a TEFL cert and you can include Vietnam to the list.

Illegal work (internships and the wrong (not "Z") visa) is possible in China as well but you are at risk should they have a "crackdown".

I don't think Armenian nationals are able to work in the EU but with a Cambridge degree you should be able to find work in Eastern Europe or Central Asia.

InaYale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, I actually have teaching experience of about 2 years. I taught at a private language center. Currently, I teach only privately, but after graduating Cambridge I did teach!
I actually do think of getting a certificate and was thinking about teaching in Chile or Argentina, as I read (though don't know how reliable it is) that you can teach there being a non-native.
I was thinking of applying for a TEFL scholarship through PremierTEFL to do a course in Poland or Czech Republic, or do a TEFL internship with them, but I don't know if this course is a good one. Do you know anything about them?
InaYale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

Illegal work (internships and the wrong (not "Z") visa) is possible in China as well but you are at risk should they have a "crackdown".

I don't think Armenian nationals are able to work in the EU but with a Cambridge degree you should be able to find work in Eastern Europe or Central Asia.

I know many people working in China as ESL teachers, but have no idea if they do it legally. I think though, that some of them do it with a work visa (maybe they are registered not as ESL teachers, but some other staff members, I don't know).

And yes, I think even unrelated Cambridge degree may be advantageous.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InaYale wrote:
I actually have teaching experience of about 2 years. I taught at a private language center. Currently, I teach only privately, but after graduating Cambridge I did teach!

I actually do think of getting a certificate and was thinking about teaching in Chile or Argentina, as I read (though don't know how reliable it is) that you can teach there being a non-native.

I was thinking of applying for a TEFL scholarship through PremierTEFL to do a course in Poland or Czech Republic, or do a TEFL internship with them, but I don't know if this course is a good one.

Avoid online TEFL courses as well as travel-n-teach TEFL schemes. They hook customers with flashy websites, enticing promos, and the promise of adventure, which compensate for mediocre TEFL course content. Get a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL if you're serious about teaching.

and InaYale wrote:
I know many people working in China as ESL teachers, but have no idea if they do it legally

It's on you to ensure you're able to qualify for a proper visit/permit to legally teach with an Armenian passport.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think Armenian nationals are able to work in the EU but with a Cambridge degree you should be able to find work in Eastern Europe

I don't agree with this - Eastern European countries naturally prefer to hire their own qualified natives to teach English, and there are plenty of these around. I seriously doubt that an Armenian citizen with an unrelated Cambridge degree would be able to compete with qualified locals who have relevant degrees to teaching English in any Eastern European country.

I actually have colleagues and partner institutions across the region, I mentor about 200 teachers in 14 Eastern European countries, and I run short courses across the region myself, so I guess my opinion is more likely to be informed than suphanburi's on this matter...
InaYale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all helpful information. Although, it is discouraging, I will still try to do a CELTA or TESOL and see where it takes me.
By the way, before going to Cambridge I have done my BA and MA in Armenia with English as major. My MA Diploma states - English Language, Pedagogy. Will that be helpful? It is not a degree in Education, but I seriously doubt that all the teachers have completed a degree in Education. Maybe I'm wrong though.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MA Diploma states - English Language, Pedagogy. Will that be helpful? It is not a degree in Education, but I seriously doubt that all the teachers have completed a degree in Education. Maybe I'm wrong though.

The degree titles do look good (pedagogy is useful), but the fact that they are from an Armenian university unfortunately means that they won't carry the weight of the same degrees from a university in an Anglophone country.

The thing is that many Europeans go abroad for MA degrees in English language, ELT, and closely related subjects. This makes them competitive in their home countries, but not usually a hot commodity globally. Your unrelated Cambridge qualifications won't be equivalent on the ELT job market.

I expect that Asia (or Armenia) are your most likely chances for a reasonable job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InaYale wrote:
Although, it is discouraging, I will still try to do a CELTA or TESOL and see where it takes me.

I suspect your lack of a TEFL qualification is more likely why you're not getting work in your home country. You can't rely solely on your education and a mediocre online TEFL cert to help you compete for work, especially since your degrees aren't teaching/education related. Before contemplating jobs abroad, consider completing a CELTA course in Armenia while networking with others in the profession, and then gain valuable post-CELTA experience on home soil.
InaYale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nomad soul and spiral78 for information and insight.

First of all I do intend to get a qualification, I was thinking of TEFL, but as you stated (and I also researched) CELTA or TESOL is better. I intend taking a course in Armenia.

As to getting a job here through connections in the field, it may be possible, but not likely. You have to have a relative or a good friend of high position within the company or who knows the director very well in order to secure a job.

To make it more clear: my sister got a job in American company in Armenia, run by the locals. After working for a few months and doing a great job, she was simply replaced by the relative/friend of the team manager, because there was no one we knew withing the company. So there is not much security here yet.
We had very significant changes in the government recently, so hopefully the situation will change.
And I do want to stay here in Armenia, really. That is why I am here since graduation. Only when you see that earnings are ridiculous, you start thinking of getting to a better place for some period of time.

I was also thinking about Russia. Coming from a post-Soviet country, it may be an option for me and I also do not need a visa to get there. Although my preferred destinations were Japan or Latin America, but it seems too difficult for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: