Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dispatch strikes again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Transformer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to read more carefully. I was referring to foreign labor in general being dispensable, not just teachers.

So now you're saying that about 8% of foreign teachers employed in Japan have tenure. Yeah, that is a BIT better, but that still shows that foreign labor is largely dispensable, as I originally said. And now we can safely say that teachers are largely dispensable as well.

You lost that one! Laughing
taikibansei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transformer wrote:
You need to read more carefully. I was referring to foreign labor in general being dispensable, not just teachers.

No, you wrote that the MEXT letter was "a deception." You also stated that it "works in cahoots with the dispatch agencies." Finally, you ended your contribution with this gem: "Actions speak louder than words in some flimsy letter."

I, quite politely, merely pointed out that you were wrong--to include generously providing a list of concrete "actions" that MEXT has taken to improve the hiring situation for teachers here. You did not know any of this, which is fine. Instead of trying to shift topics, though, the proper response should have been: thank you.

The Transformer wrote:

So now you're saying that....

Not sure what you mean by "now," as I've only been talking about teachers and the education sector throughout. See, the article I posted to start this thread is only about teachers and the education sector, and MEXT, while a government agency, only deals with teachers and the education sector. Oh, and this board is about teachers and the education sector--notice the common theme yet?

The Transformer wrote:

You lost that one! Laughing

Yeah, okay. By the way, I just figured out which poster you used to be before your forced vacation. Welcome back...and nice new name! Laughing

Last edited by taikibansei on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
kzjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Yes, that's me in the pic, along with the pres/chairman. So in that small, niche way, I may actually be a 1%-er.)
taikibansei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:
(Yes, that's me in the pic, along with the pres/chairman. So in that small, niche way, I may actually be a 1%-er.)

Again, seriously, congrats on the honor (you elitist 1%er you Wink ).
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taikibansei wrote

Quote:
There are currently 2.56 million foreigners living in Japan right now. The current stats are here:

http://www.moj.go.jp/housei/toukei/toukei_ichiran_touroku.html

Thanks for the link! It's a great insight into the non-Japanese community and where they work.

Kzjohn, congratulations! That's an impressive certificate.
rxk22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conspiracy or evil motives nonwithstanding, I think it shows how little is being followed. The fact the MEXT is pushing for direct hires, yet little to no progress has been made in tht direction is telling how badly top down labor reform works here. Look at the top down telling employees to go home early. They even have auto lights. I've heard that when the lights automatically turn off, that some one just gets up and turns them back on. The middle mgt simply doesn't follow the policy.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only one small uni, but my place worked to rule. If I worked on a weekend for some reason, those hours would be reflected in my daikyu "account". I was lucky since I could effectively "bank" those, and take them any time in the following year or so. My wife's school, OTOH, requires that she take the time off during either the week before or after.

Sorry, but I've never heard of 'they' having an automatic lights off--that must be unique to someplace that's, uh, unique. Sounds like a straw man thing to me.
rxk22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stop having an obvious chip on your shoulder.

Automatically shutting off the lights has been in various news sources for a few years
https://amp.ft.com/content/6d6b73b4-94fa-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I taught business English lessons at a couple of companies in the evening. After the chime and lights off for “family day” (the day people were to go home early), a number of people kept working at their desks in the dark. The computer light seemed to be enough. Others had desk lamps.

I would think shutting down the AC during summer and winter would do more to get people moving, but with cool biz and warm biz, people might not even notice.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. No AC during summer vacation does the trick. One national university where I work just does that. Teachers only come in if they forget something.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote
Quote:
You can stop having an obvious chip on your shoulder.

Automatically shutting off the lights has been in various news sources for a few years

I've seen this in action in corporate settings.

However, I've never seen schools do it.

I've observed administrators turning over staff nafuda to indicate the teachers are not obligated to stay longer, but few leave.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese summer woukd make no ac rough for most. I'd figure that woukd send many home.
Think how much a school would save on power costs by not having its teachers come in for perhaps, half the break? Just the utilities woukd be a major source of saving, power for ac, lights, cellphone chargers and PCs, plus water usage.
Not too mention just clearing or refreshing the minds of the teachers.
My old school, it was intense from Sept to Dec, and that winter break was great really cleared out the tiredness and helped me be able to teach well.
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What with it being Wimbledon I made some lemonade and used this incredible invention called "Google" to find out more about that newfangled lights out policy.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the personal jabs and bickering continue, this thread will not. Those responsible for its removal will no longer be among our community.

I kid you not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: