Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peizheng College, Guangdong Province
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB140767

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
We are at the point where someone with a masters considers 9000 yuan, less than $1500, as high pay. MOD EDIT

Also - doesn't pay year round, so presumably 9 or 10 months so therefore average monthly pay is around 7000, but he did say without a masters degree. Still 7k is good, if your getting it weekly, 7k a month is abysmal. No AC in GZ, how is that in the pro list? Fans just move hot air around. This place has been talked about for years, but it seems to be improving, based on MESL's info. Good management now? There are famous videos of the managers in this place screaming at FTs like naughty kids in the past, threatening, belittling. Also, older postings describe the living conditions as horrendous death traps - so improvement there, further the surrounding shops and facilities were also historically awful - still, 7k, ppppffftttt
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary is going up here as can be seen on recent ads and is as good as ANY college or uni in China who will take people with only a Bachelor's degree. As MESL has reported the teaching conditions are good (small classes, nice students), although the praised attendance is FORCED by the school via a point system for scholarships and other benefits.

The problems here do not involve pay or anything in the classroom. There is a toxic atmosphere that eventually comes around and bites even the bright-eyed newbies. Very, very few leave with a good taste in their mouth. There is a reason they are posting ads EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR looking for teachers.
MESL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good management now?

The entire previous regime, Foreign Affairs Office and Foreign Language Department, foreigner and Chinese, are gone. Not one person is left over from the controversial era.
MESL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a reason they are posting ads EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR looking for teachers.

Explanations:

-- Most universities in China have half a dozen or less foreign teachers. This one has 50. Imagine the sheer logistics of the recruiting process and the visa process with such a high population of foreign teachers.

-- Most teachers here are retirees looking for an interesting experience or fresh graduates looking to add international experience to their resume. Very few are career teachers. So the turnover is high.

-- Private colleges in China have a reputation for being a dumping ground for students who didn't score high enough on the college entrance exam to get into public universities but whose parents are rich enough to pay the quadruple tuition private colleges with lower admission standards charge. I have not found the students at this school to fit the notorious image of low caliber, unteachable, unmanageable, spoiled rich kids.

-- The campus is isolated. It's near a subway station, yet is a good ways from downtown.
MESL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The health issue mentioned by the OP is the norovirus that sweeps through for a few weeks during rainy season. It affects the students more than the teachers. Perhaps because they are packed in with several roommates. I think we had one foreign teacher spend a few days in the hospital. We were not allowed to eat in the restaurants outside the campus until we spent a couple of weeks without an new outbreak. Like SARS, it was more of an inconvenience than a danger.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans just move hot air around
Fans are personal cooling not environmental. They produce better vaporisation of skin moisture which cools you.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:
Quote:
There is a reason they are posting ads EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR looking for teachers.

Explanations:

-- Most universities in China have half a dozen or less foreign teachers. This one has 50. Imagine the sheer logistics of the recruiting process and the visa process with such a high population of foreign teachers.

-- Most teachers here are retirees looking for an interesting experience or fresh graduates looking to add international experience to their resume. Very few are career teachers. So the turnover is high.

-- Private colleges in China have a reputation for being a dumping ground for students who didn't score high enough on the college entrance exam to get into public universities but whose parents are rich enough to pay the quadruple tuition private colleges with lower admission standards charge. I have not found the students at this school to fit the notorious image of low caliber, unteachable, unmanageable, spoiled rich kids.

-- The campus is isolated. It's near a subway station, yet is a good ways from downtown.

Almost 50% of the large teaching population are leaving at the end of this year (21 out of 44 English Teachers). Out of these teachers, only 4 are leaving after 1 year. The rest are teachers with years in China and ARE NOT 1 year tourists. A majority of the people staying are folks in their 60's who are holding onto this job cuz they can't get another visa anywhere else, and a handful of non-native speakers who are enjoying a better salary than they would get elsewhere (as well as people on a midterm contract, many who are planning on leaving in January). The NEW salary structure is 11-18,000 for oral English only, no office hours. Easy gig. There should be NO PROBLEM retaining good teachers/hiring new ones at this salary. They have NO PROBLEM hiring inexperienced people or people from non-native countries (is French your country's official language? We'll get you a visa as a French teacher- and you can teach English! Shhhh!). Still hiring EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR.

There are good things about this job. But it's not as rosy as being painted here. Again, glad this teacher is satisfied. The facts show a different picture. Be warned.
JB140767

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Fans just move hot air around
Fans are personal cooling not environmental. They produce better vaporisation of skin moisture which cools you.

Ah - ok - you take the fan in a classroom in GZ when it's 42 outside and tell me it's better. Maybe if one is the kind of teacher sitting up front playing the latest blockbuster and napping in unison with the students a fan is ok, but I'll take AC any old day
teenoso

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]There are good things about this job. But it's not as rosy as being painted here. Again, glad this teacher is satisfied. The facts show a different picture. Be warned.[quote]

Could you be more specific about what is not good about the place ?
- is it the management ? the environment ? the housing?

50% turnover is not that unusual in a large teaching body here , and you seem to be saying that many are leaving after several years, so is there a new problem or situation which applicants should be aware of?
MESL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 foreign teachers are returning in September. 7 arrived in March. So the actual number of returning teachers is 14.
Trevor Wadlow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Peizheng College Reply with quote

There have been bad reports about this college for as long as I have been on this site (10 years). One report came from a friend of mine.

Why does anybody bother?
MESL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more pros:

-- 25% raise with a renewed contract. Plus 500 yuan raise for all teachers this semester.

-- The students are great. Last semester, every student hung with me from the first day through the last lesson. Full participation, no absentee problems, universal enthusiasm. This semester has been very good too. The ban zhangs this semester have been particularly helpful.

-- Lots of professional development. Seminars, workshops, lectures from a variety of colleagues with a variety of backgrounds on a variety subjects.

-- A shop inside a nearby supermarket managed by a bilingual Pei Zheng graduate who has been operating in the campus area for 17 years and who has connections with all delivery services. Nick charges 3 yuan to accept a package and 1 yuan per day for storage. Just give him the tracking code.

EMS has a nasty habit of sending you a message at 4 p.m. telling you they will arrive by the bridge at 5 p.m. and will wait for you to pick up your package until 6 p.m. They also have a habit of leaving your package in a locker and sending you a code to open the locker.

-- 2 new, large supermarkets opened this semester. One is just down from the gate, the other is around the curve.

-- Lots of affordable restaurants across from the gate with delicious food, picture menus, sometimes English menus, and sometimes English speaking staff. Plus shake shops and pastry shops.

-- How You Feel restaurant serves pretty good western food, although more expensive than its Chinese counterpart up the alley.

-- 6 yuan dining hall discount for teachers.
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the supermarket and the restaurants international?
MESL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This month, my salary was 11,600 yuan. Last month, my salary was 8,300. My salary fluctuates drastically because it's based on complicated calculations. Base pay plus number of lessons taught. If a month has a lot of teaching days and no holidays, my salary for that month will be very high. If a month has a low number of teaching days and several holiday days, my salary is much lower. If there's a holiday but it's on a Tuesday and I have only one lesson on Tuesdays, my salary is not affected much. If the holiday is on a Monday and I have lessons all day on Mondays, my salary will be much more affected. If the spring semester begins the second week of March, I will get base pay for all of March but not for any lessons the first week.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:
My salary fluctuates drastically because it's based on complicated calculations. Base pay plus number of lessons taught. If a month has a lot of teaching days and no holidays, my salary for that month will be very high. If a month has a low number of teaching days and several holiday days, my salary is much lower.

That is no good. Public holidays are meant to be paid holidays. Doing complex calculations to cut pay and maximize profit. You are not a sales person or something like that, you are a teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: