Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Americans who can explain how to get new work permit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Any Americans who can explain how to get new work permit? Reply with quote

Help. Don't know if I should leave China and start work permit application process all over again from U.S. or can do it from China. Need step by step instructions from somebody whose already teaching in China and successfully renewed. None of my coworkers in China understand and are going back to the U.S. to do it.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to the US, get your degree authenticated, get your crime-free certificate, get it authenticated, then relax and enjoy your awesome country for a week or two, or three.

Then head back to China and continue as you were.

Last edited by theoriginalprankster on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it that you actually need to do? The documents can be done without leaving, but is the school willing to reimburse the cost? If you are staying with the school there should be no need to go back for a new Z visa either.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new employer should be able to answer the question whether you can transfer in-country or whether you need to go back to the US to start the Z-visa process from scratch. If you are working presently in China and changing jobs, you SHOULD be able to do that here, unless you run into the snafu that some are having in that you will not get your release and recommendation papers 30 days before the end of your residence permit, and thus don't have enough time to process a transfer.

Your new employer should be able to answer this question or find out the answer quickly from the govt and tell you what you need to do. Each city/province is still doing their own thing, so it's nearly impossible to get a reliable answer here on an internet forum.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Bo back to the US, get your degree authenticated, get your crime-free certificate, get it authenticated, then relax and enjoy your awesome country for a week or two, or three.

Then head back to China and continue as you were.

The above is exactly what I plan on doing. Plan on leaving here the end of June. If I start this process right away how long do you figure it would take to be all squared away?
jaj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get my degree diploma and criminal background apostilled so I can get the embassy to give me new work permit. Very poor communication at my school. Just know other teachers are going back.

I don't want to lose my apt in China. I have no idea if the apostille and work permit thing can happen in less than a month. Am thinking about mailing my passport to a family member and asking them to do the whole thing and mail my passport with new work permit back to me.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaj,

Be careful with the word apostille. When you get your documents stamped at the State Dept you have to be really clear that you are getting them AUTHENTICATED FOR CHINA. China has not signed on to the Hague Convention so it does not accept the apostille system that most countries do (South Korea, etc). It is essentially the same thing in practice, but it is a different stamp and the Chinese consulate will reject apostilled docs.

Just a heads up. Had a friend who had to re-send everything and cost him a couple weeks.
teenoso

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean , that you are renewing your contract with the same Uni , and the FAO wants you to go home and get another z visa based on authenticated docs?
Why can't they just renew the residence permit?

If all Unis adopted such a system , forcing teachers to return home and wait for the z visa, then they would surely lose many teachers.
Modernist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no idea if the apostille and work permit thing can happen in less than a month.

If you mean the authentication of a CBC, as in you don't have it now and need to get it, then no, I highly doubt it. If you have a valid CBC now and just need to get the authentication, then maybe.

You can't get a work permit from outside the country, only a Z visa.

Quote:
Am thinking about mailing my passport to a family member and asking them to do the whole thing and mail my passport with new work permit back to me.

This is a very bad idea for several reasons. First, as far as I know, being in China without a passport is a crime. Aside from the fact you won't be able to go anywhere on a train, bus, plane, anything, if the police should ask you for some reason for your passport, and you can't give it to them, that's a big problem for you.

And, the even bigger problem is that the Z visa you'd get 'mailed back to (you)' is not a work permit but an entry permit with the point of being changed to a work permit AFTER entry. The visa is meant to be scanned upon entry to the country by an immigration officer. If it's mailed to you then that will not be done, and when it is brought to a police department to be converted to an actual work permit, then you and the local police are going to have a probably unpleasant conversation which may well end in you being deported.
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also--for those applying for Z visas in the US, did you have to also be fingerprinted in person at the consulate where you are applying? Just checking on rumors I have seen on the Internet.

I am going through an agent in the New York consular district and so far, it doesn't appear that I need to do in-person fingerprinting.

Finger(print)s crossed!

Warm regards,
twowheel
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
Also--for those applying for Z visas in the US, did you have to also be fingerprinted in person at the consulate where you are applying?

To answer my own question, I went through the Chinese Consulate in New York City and I did not have to show up in person to be fingerprinted. I sent off my passport and papers to an agent who submitted it to the consulate in person for me.

Now fingers crossed that I will soon get my passport back with a valid Z visa in it.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: