Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Bangkok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Questions about Bangkok Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm thinking of teaching in Bangkok. I had some questions.

-What would you guys estimate startup costs are in BKK from starting from scratch, renting a cheap apartment, getting a work permit, etc these days?

-And what are the main job search sources there? Do people mainly use FB groups, or are there other main websites?

-Is it possible to request to get paid weekly in cash in schools or agencies, or is it just not done at all?

-Finally, how easy is it to get a teaching job in BKK these days? I know some have said it's best if you're in country while applying for jobs. Is it feasible to find something decent after 1-2 weeks? Or would it likely take longer?

Thanks for any and all help.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about Bangkok Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:

-Finally, how easy is it to get a teaching job in BKK these days? I know some have said it's best if you're in country while applying for jobs. Is it feasible to find something decent after 1-2 weeks? Or would it likely take longer?

I guess that would depend how fussy you are.

Can you define decent?

Yes, definitely much better chance if you are already in country.

Aside from Facebook groups there is a certain long running Thailand specific Esl job site you could try.

Good luck.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sigmoid"]
Quote:
Aside from Facebook groups there is a certain long running Thailand specific Esl job site you could try.

MOD EDIT & FINAL WARNING

I think unis will be starting the new term soon but primary/secondary are on still on the Thai schedule[?]. Institutes are a year-round option, of course.

You should contact some schools you're interested in to set up interviews upon arrival or do Skype before arriving. Most schools won't hire you from overseas though, but if you network now, you'll have some options in hand when you land.

I'd do the same regarding accommodation. Check online and network. Cheaper places will be further from the skytrain and subway, near or across the river or out in the suburbs. Usually, people sort out work first and then get a place near their job. Commuting is insane in BKK.

Also, it's not a requirement to teach in BKK. There are a number of options 'upcountry'.

Start-up costs shouldn't be high but Thailand is nowhere as cheap as it used to be. WP/one-year visa SHOULD be paid for by your employer.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about Bangkok Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:
Hi all, I'm thinking of teaching in Bangkok. I had some questions.

-What would you guys estimate startup costs are in BKK from starting from scratch, renting a cheap apartment, getting a work permit, etc these days?

-And what are the main job search sources there? Do people mainly use FB groups, or are there other main websites?

-Is it possible to request to get paid weekly in cash in schools or agencies, or is it just not done at all?

Thanks for any and all help.

IF you are a State Certified teacher then it is not that hard to find work from abroad. Look at places like Search Associates, TIEonline, internationalschoolsreview, TESS, etc. Get off of the EFL boards.

If you have a degree and come from a western country then land and get a job. Startup costs will be minimal - under US$1000 to get you through until payday. The schools usually take care of the work permit and visa extension costs. The cost of a visa run to get a non-B will be about US$200 all in but you need the job to get the visa.

Schools pay salaried employees monthly.
Hourly rate work is often paid weekly.

If you do not have a degree then land and take your best shot. Legal work is not going to happen for you. There won't be any visa or work permit. You will likely be an hourly rate, part-time employee at some language school rather than a salaried teacher at a mainstream school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: