Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance learning for PHd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moshaker1234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Distance learning for PHd Reply with quote

I am considering starting a PHd with a UK university via distance learning. I know much of the ME does not accept online/distance learning for MA/BA, but I am unsure of PHds.

Surely universities in ME will have to eventually accept that distance/online courses are now a common occurrence for people wanting study for a qualification.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they might some day, but chances are that we won't live long enough to see it.

If you plan to do one, just don't plan to use it in any of the Gulf countries.

VS
RedLightning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see their eventually 'accepting' online degrees, but I think the prejudice against them will continue long after (much the way it remains today in the advanced West).
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should unis in the ME change their policy ? They call the shots.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thank you for this thread. I wanted to do a masters through distance learning. I got accepted to notting hill. Very Happy I feel so proud. I def will but I’ll just take a course less. I’ll take it easy. Very Happy

And maybe one day I’ll do my ph d. Dreaming of being called Dr. Baa Baa Very Happy I’m learning a language now for this stage. French! Je ne sais pas Embarassed Very Happy
jamilla2015

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did both of mine via distance learning & both were accepted in the Middle East. You need to make sure its a recognised university. The UAE have a list of them. There is a huge difference between online & distance & the participation of the supervisor & your cohort.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamilla2015 wrote:
I did both of mine via distance learning & both were accepted in the Middle East.

When was this and for which ME countries? Plus, having an (on-campus) MA in the same field is an advantage.

However, academic credentials accepted today may not be in the future. That's a major issue for those, like the OP, who are seriously thinking about starting a distance degree program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: