Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behemoth, bully, thief:how English is taking over the planet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is English Taking Over the Planet?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe?
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
I like pizza
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Behemoth, bully, thief:how English is taking over the planet Reply with quote

No language in history has dominated the world quite like English does today. Is there any point in resisting?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/27/english-language-global-dominance
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempts to derail this thread will not be successful and they will result in severe sanctions, as warranted.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are many upsides to having a common-ish language in which many people from many parts of the globe can communicate.

It doesn't really matter, IMO, about different accents and grammatical/vocabulary gaps - negotiating meaning is useful for a lot of reasons.

I also don't see that English 'corrupts' local culture - the Dutch, for example, speak pretty darn good English overall, and yet are still extremely 'Dutch' - they haven't lost their distinctive culture because of English. Hopefully this is generally true in most cultures.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; saying English dominance is bad is like saying Coke (the drink) or TV (the medium) are bad, because so many people find them more convenient and useful. They're popular because Lilt (which I really liked, tagline "It's a miracle, but we made it") and Stereoscopes didn't catch on or were superseded by betters.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wide-ranging, well-researched, & carefully written meditation on language in the world today. Provocative. Thanks for sharing it.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why people would want to hold onto dying languages. Original records of ancient history are written in dead (or nearly dead) languages. It forms an important part of the identity of certain people. I guess there's a matter of pride in being one of a few of anything in the world.

I've been one to be willing to throw away tradition if it makes for a better future. But I don't criticize people for valuing their possibly dying language.

Of course, I have no self-interest in the promotion of English as the dominant worldwide language that everybody should speak. Nope. Not me. Not like I'm an English language teacher or anything like that.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spread of English does not imply that other languages are dying. It's just becoming the norm that most people speak two or more languages. Except some English language teachers, obviously Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: