Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching on a F visa? Is this okay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Teaching on a F visa? Is this okay? Reply with quote

A university wants to hire me but to get me to the university faster (their semester starts in 2 weeks), they want to help me get a F visa and then take care of the Z work visa while I am there.

I worked in China in the past and never had to do this. I'm not sure of the logistics of this and if there are opportunities for labor exploitation while on a F visa. They also want me to work on a temporary basis that will last the rest of 2018 before making me a permanent employee. I guess this temporary basis lasts as long as it takes to get a Z visa. This again is something I have never experienced. Is this a new trend in China or is this an exception?

It's a shame if this is a disqualifier as the job pays extremely well. If somebody needs more info to answer this properly, they can message me and I'll get back to them ASAP. Thanks Smile

I should note that I am an Irish-American living in the UK. Is the F visa necessary because I can only obtain a Z visa in a country where I have citizenship? Never applied for a Chinese visa outside of a country where I had citizenship. They didn't specify that as a reason why but I was wondering if that was possible.
cormac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't enter China without having the right visa organised beforehand. You've been in China before. You know the games they play, and the sheer level of ignorance displayed when it comes to other peoples lives. I know others have entered on less appropriate visa types, but China is changing a lot in recent years about how rules are applied.

You say you're Irish American... Which means you've got dual citizenship, or are you just American? If dual, it's a short hop to Dublin from the UK to get the visa processed. (Yes, I'm Irish)

I did it recently and it took me approx 3 weeks total. The longest part being the delays from the Chinese administration, and the delivery of documents to China. The Embassy in Dublin was very quick to process everything, and if you have your documents organised/Signed off by the DFT quickly, it could be shorter than what it took me.

If you're american, then that's completely different.

Still, Push for the Z Visa. Better to be secure. If they have the authorization/permits to have foreign staff, the Z visa doesn't take long to process (for Irish citizens anyway... I've heard horror stories for other nationalities)
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah though I have never have resided in Ireland. That probably makes a difference. After all, how does one get a CRC in a country they've never lived in?
cormac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunItTwice wrote:
Yeah though I have never have resided in Ireland. That probably makes a difference. After all, how does one get a CRC in a country they've never lived in?

Ok. There are plenty of threads on Daves related to the Z visa for American citizens.

Still, I'd recommend pushing for Z Visa. Depending on where you are, the authorities are getting kinda strict about having the right visa and you could find yourself in an awkward position.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to google f visa because it's not a regular visit visa , it's for scientific exchange , or lecturing - basically if you applied for this visa you'd have to lie on the application (as would your sponsoring school), but maybe you are ok with that.
the f visa normally lasts 30 days , during which time presumably the school would need to send you with the z visa paperwork to Hong Kong (takes 2/3 days if your school pays for express service ). you can't get the z visa on the mainland.

It seems a bit of a gamble , and the school is taking a risk , but if things went pear-shaped you could be deported or worse , and then find no way to get a regular job in China.

Why not just suggest you both take longer and apply for the z visa in the UK, and you can arrive after the beginning of the semester. Often in the past , foreign teachers have arrived 3 or 4 weeks late , and it does not affect the schedule too much.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded and asked about getting a Z visa rather than a F visa. Apparently they were content enough with their F visa setup to not negotiate on it and went with somebody else who was willing to abide by their terms.

The whole F visa thing was too shady for me to be comfortable with. Seems that the university wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Thanks for the heads up.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did the right thing.
Just shows that you should always have an option 2 and maybe 3 in these situations.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have backup jobs to fall on.

I'm trying to put my MA TESOL to use but neither I nor my former classmates can find work that puts it to use. The last thing I want to do is go back to the entry-level, hourly work I was doing. Defeats the purpose of getting the degree if I can't make myself more marketable. Wonder if I have to wait until I get my dissertation grade back.

Guess it's early yet.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a problem - until you get caught.

When you get caught the school will bribe it's way out of the situation. You will get fined, maybe deported, maybe jailed before you get deported.

It USED to be an okay thing to do but in the last several years China cracks down.

They now offer a bounty on the head of illegal workers- means someone turns you in for the reward.

Also other foreigners can turn you in because they have a grudge against the school, are just low quality people, or don't like the color of your underwear.

Where I work there were several people working illegally last year. One of them told me the school cheated him out of 5,000 rmb. Then said to him " You work here illegally, who are you going to complain too?".

WHO can he complain to? No one. Plus they abused him - made him go to another city to teach - over two hours each way - and wouldn't pay him travel time. He put in a 6 hour day - for one hour's pay.

There's risks beyond the reward here.
Pekingtom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to leave China to get the Z visa....see: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117769

Also, if you do not have 2 years of post degree experience, maybe you can find a job in a second or third tier city, where that is not a requirement. After two years you can move up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: