Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two questions about teaching online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Two questions about teaching online Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a couple of questions about teaching online.

1. What are the most flexible companies out there? Mainly what I'm wondering about is how many companies are ok with a teacher stopping and starting periodically? Say for example if you wanted to take one month off per year, the company will be all right with it. By that I mean they wouldn't make you go through the whole process (interviews, demos, hiring process) before starting again.

2. Are there any countries where office-based online EFL teaching is common for foreign teachers? I know countries like Philippines have some locally based teachers do this, but I am wondering about such a set up abroad specifically for foreign EFL teachers.

Thanks much.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: MOD TEAM Reply with quote

Welcome to our Online Teaching Forum.
Lack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Kalgukshi wrote:
Welcome to our Online Teaching Forum.

Thanks. Somehow I didn't even see this online teaching forum when I posted my thread. D'oh!
Lack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, and also another question I've thought of.

Since online teaching is for teaching Chinese students mostly, do companies generally let you try to bring in students by using Chinese on your profile?

That is, I know some companies don't guarantee you income but instead make you be available for your slots but a student has to choose you. Are you allowed to use Chinese to appeal to the potential students and thus get them to choose you?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the more flexibility you want the lower your income.

Students (parents) want stability to plan their time.
If you are not consistent it will be difficult to get regular students.

Firms that guarantee income will also be less flexible (you need to be online, logged in, and available during your contracted time but you are assured of your pay.

Those firms that just let you open up slots and take your chances also don't assure you of an income.

The balance between assured income and flexibility is for you to decide on.

Lack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
In my experience the more flexibility you want the lower your income.

Students (parents) want stability to plan their time.
If you are not consistent it will be difficult to get regular students.

Firms that guarantee income will also be less flexible (you need to be online, logged in, and available during your contracted time but you are assured of your pay.

Those firms that just let you open up slots and take your chances also don't assure you of an income.

The balance between assured income and flexibility is for you to decide on.

Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense. I'm not yet sure whether I'll ultimately go with assured income or flexibility, but I may find out soon as I am beginning to apply to places now.

Do you know of companies that will allow teachers to quit and then get "re-hired" without re-doing the entire process of interviews, et. al.?
Cole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Most Flexible Company Reply with quote

Cambly is hands down the most flexible company out there.

You teach when you want for as long as you want 24-7. You can set your account up for advanced class reservations as well.

You also have the power to instantly ban a student from the platform if they become rude or abusive in any way.

The only downside is the pay - approximately $10.20 an hour (17 cents a minute), depending on you getting calls, which you certainly will. Work is relatively consistent if you sign up for 'Priority Hours'.

Easy as eating pancakes otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: