Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone taken a TEFL-related Master's or PGCE in Europe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you study for a Master's outside of your home country?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Of course not, nowhere offers this you total plonker.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone taken a TEFL-related Master's or PGCE in Europe? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have an unrelated bachelor's and CELTA, plus over a decade of experience in TEFL. I'd like to look towards working in better schools and universities or possibly international schools, and doing a post-grad qualification will be necessary.

I'm from the UK but would like not to return to study there, even if it was for only a year. The problems are I'm just not really happy when I visit the UK and I'd have to pay foreign student fees. I'd gladly look at unis in Europe or further afield as long as the course is taught in English. I don't want to study online as many countries don't accept it.

If you're a native English teacher but studied overseas I'd like to hear how it went, how much it cost, and how employers reacted after you graduated. I've added a poll to see if this actually is a thing or I'm chasing rainbows. Thanks in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
I'd gladly look at unis in Europe or further afield as long as the course is taught in English. I don't want to study online as many countries don't accept it.

If you're a native English teacher but studied overseas I'd like to hear how it went, how much it cost, and how employers reacted after you graduated.

Rather than looking at foreign-accredited universities in non-Anglophone countries and worrying about your degree being accepted, I suggest focusing on UK/US/Canadian/Aussie universities that have overseas campuses.

You also might check out the American University in Cairo. It's a 100-year-old, US-accredited uni that offers TEFL Fellowships. There's a discussion about AUC's MA TESOL on the Egypt forum.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Rather than looking at foreign-accredited universities in non-Anglophone countries and worrying about your degree being accepted, I suggest focusing on UK/US/Canadian/Aussie universities that have overseas campuses.

You also might check out the American University in Cairo. It's a 100-year-old, US-accredited uni that offers TEFL Fellowships. There's a discussion about AUC's MA TESOL on the Egypt forum.

Hi Nomad Soul, that's great advice from you (as usual). I thought I'd check foreign-accredited universities and the first I looked at was one a couple of friends teach at. Lo and behold it offers a one-year Master's in TESOL. Further Googling has shown the 2nd uni I looked at also offers the same. Both charge 90k Yuan for the year which is more than affordable, plus I get to live outside of the UK but still get a qualification from a UK uni (I assume - I'll have to check that, of course).

Many thanks.
yurii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What subject can you teach? Ok you might not be interested in the UK but they do offer extremely generous tax free bursaries for shortage subjects such as MFL, Science, Maths... which can go up to 25,000 pounds (then you deduct 9,000 GBP for the PGCE fees) which basically amounts to a salary. Is UK really that bad to suck it up for 10 months?

It's kinda impossible to do a PGCE in non-UK Europe unless of course you speak the local lingo. This is pretty obvious given that teaching licenses are for local teachers teaching local students (I work in a French middle school and wouldn't have gotten my job without decent French). On top of that in countries like Spain/France the PGCE is vastly different to the UK whereby you basically prepare for an exam and depending on your grade/your competitors' grades you're put into a selection and could be sent anywhere in the region (or even country) and placed in a school (you don't really have a choice). It is a bit of a weird scheme where you could be from the north of France and be sent to the south for a school (in theory anyway). Also, in France for example, the starting salary for a recently qualified teacher is ridiculously low and you could be put in an awful awful school, have to suck it up before being able to move (you need to build 'points').
yurii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, if you want into good international schools you will more than likely need to do it in the international school's home country. Naturally this is because they want teachers who've studied and know their national curriculum. If you look at the majority of international schools worldwide I'd say the top three are most probably American, British and French (if I'm wrong somebody please correct me!).

Anyway, regarding the TESOL I did mine in the UK but do remember before enrolling that The University of Groningen, in the Netherlands offer it in English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: