Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UAEU and ZU Foundation Programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreadHead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: UAEU and ZU Foundation Programs Reply with quote

What's the latest word on these? I hear the ZU program is almost done but UAEU's future is less clear. Looking for a job in the region and UAE is my top choice, Qatar second (?), KSA (???).
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you should ask. UAEU is in the process of haemorrhaging staff both from faculty and from UFP.

UAEU has just introduced finger print clocking-in, upped the contact hours by 25 to 50%, and extended the academic year by 8 weeks, all for no extra pay with ever-eroding benefits - especially school fees.

Rumour has it that when contract renewal takes place in UFP, an intermediary body will take over, forcing staff to take a pay cut of around 20%. New hires, if any are recruited at all, will be on significantly less than current staff.

At the meeting last February, when the changes were announced, the Vice Chancellor declared somewhat bizarrely that the world was queuing up to work at his institution. The exodus that is taking place would suggest his current staff don’t share his high opinion of the place.

The wheels have long been coming off the gravy train, and the slowest train crash in history has finally played itself out.

Having said that, EFL teachers in the UAE were always over-paid. At UAEU, they get the same, if not more than some PhD holders in faculty. 20 years ago, they benefited from being the only western expats at an institution. Not so now.

However, for most TEFLers around the world, the package will still be a good deal, even with the cuts: 5 weeks summer holiday, $4,250/4,500 + housing + health + flights.

For a single person, or childless teaching couple who are willing to put their shoulder to the grindstone to shore-up their financial position, there is still great opportunity for a few years of savings.

Not like in the past, but where else in the world are TEFLers going to save some meaningful cash?
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the world? China. some opportunities there to earn loads of money.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:

However, for most TEFLers around the world, the package will still be a good deal, even with the cuts: 5 weeks summer holiday, $4,250/4,500 + housing + health + flights.

Yes, doubtless many people coming to research jobs in the Gulf for the first time and knowing no different, would consider what you describe here as a really good package. Gulf veterans who experienced the good old days in pay and conditions would likely consider this new package as pretty poor. It is all relative.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m confused. Which part of my post suggested that the new deal would be deemed attractive by Gulf veterans?

I even talked of an exodus.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am agreeing with the general points you make. For newbies coming to the Gulf this would still be a good deal - and they may not know that terms and conditions used to be so much better than this.
I wasn't implying your post suggested that Gulf veterans would find the latest deals attractive. My post was implying that they probably wouldn't.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to the OP, I hear that the fingerprint machines have temporarily disappeared for the WASC accreditation committee visit this October.

Very Happy
BreadHead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC and Londonlover thank you for your detailed response. I've always heard good things about UAEU. Sorry to hear the good times are coming to a close. The pay and benefits you mentioned sound good at first but considering the effort to move there and having to live in that extreme climate (meteorologically and politically), I don't know. Not sure it's worth my while. But then again I'm not sure how many choices I'll have in this ever-shrinking field.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

The cost of living is very high now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: