Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portland, Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Portland, Oregon and the Pacific Northwest Reply with quote

Hello, folks.

I'm in Texas, thinking about relocating to Portland, Oregon, at some point...maybe as soon as next year, perhaps a few years down the line.

I'm in journalism but am getting burned out on the profession. I have a B.A. in English and am currently in an M.A. in English program with a focus on ESL and linguistics...course of study includes an ESL certificate. I have some ESL experience. Ten years ago, I went through an ESL certification program in Mexico and then taught at a private language school for a semester.

Anyway, if anyone has any information about teaching ESL/EFL in Portland or elsewhere in the Pacific Northwest, I'd be interested. I'm not looking for employment at the moment...just curious about the field in general in that part of the U.S.

I did see the short thread on Seattle that was posted recently.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on TESOL.org's career page and on Craigslist ads. However, it will be challenging to get work without recent ESL experience under your belt. Your best bet is to pursue state licensure in ELA to teach grades 6-12 in public schools.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked but I think around Seattle there is work.
Seems like Oregon needs fewer teachers than other places.

In Oregon I think the demand is for those who teach math, science and special ed.
I can't find jobs in English for Oregon.

Certification is a pain but is needed.

I want to get certified in Washington first, as I think there is more work.
Marcas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. For various reasons, I plan on remaining at my current job (working in news media) until summer 2020. So I have about a year and a half to choose a destination. Pacific Northwest is still very much in the running. I'm also looking at Chicago, California, New Mexico, and Dallas.

By the way, I did complete the M.A. in Applied Linguistics. In addition to my full-time job, I'm teaching one freshman writing class at a local university as an adjunct. I hope to teach a class every semester while I'm still at my current job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: