Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mixal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on this? Reply with quote

My friend just applied for ESL teaching position at a university in Guangdong (Foshan). He has never taught at a university, but he has 2 years of classroom teaching experience, a TEFL & an unrelated BA.

The answer he got was: "As the local foreign expert bureau has more rigid restrictions on candidates' teaching experience and relevant qualifications this year,I have to inform you pitifully that we can not manage to apply for a work permit for you."

He initially thought this was BS, so he asked in what way he is not qualified.

"The local FEB requires that candidates must have a minimum of two years' EFL teaching experience and an education, linguistics or teaching related degree. TEFL certificates from Thailand are not accepted as there are too many diploma mills there."

Shocked Shocked

The teacher pointed out general requirements and added that his TEFL certificate is authenticated.

"The GD FEB requirements are much higher this year than last year. We submitted 6 candidates' data to FEB in June, and only 2 got approved in late August. I am not sure whether FEBs in other provinces are as demanding as in Guangdong Province, but I was informed of a similar tendency in some northern provinces.

Ordinary TEFL certificates issued in Thailand are not recognised here unless you earned your CELTA certificate there."

This makes things even more hilarious as my CELTA was not recognized by a bunch of schools/places Laughing Laughing

Any thoughts, comments... ?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixal wrote:
He has 2 years of classroom teaching experience, a TEFL & an unrelated BA.
He asked in what way he is not qualified.

"The local FEB requires that candidates must have a minimum of two years' EFL teaching experience and an education, linguistics or teaching related degree. TEFL certificates from Thailand are not accepted as there are too many diploma mills there."

Obviously his unrelated BA and generic TEFL cert (from a course provider in Thailand) fall short of the requirements. Best to apply elsewhere where his quals meet the minimum.
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is getting stricter in terms of requirements for foreign teachers. Things are not so strict and organized with many other things once you get here. Still quite disorganized and chaotic.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I’d say the reason given is legit. Government offices are getting stricter everywhere. Sometimes the rationale is irrational, but not much you can do about it.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, universities in China are filling all of their foreign teacher positions and the market for foreign teachers is saturated?
doogsville

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
So, universities in China are filling all of their foreign teacher positions and the market for foreign teachers is saturated?

sigmoid wrote:

Nope, quite the opposite here in Zhuhai. The uni I left last year is two foreign teachers short this year. Private schools and Primary schools are advertising constantly for native speakers at the moment, presumably not having filled their quotas at the beginning of the term. Several unis are advertising for foreign teachers to start in the Spring semester. Salaries in kindergartens for native speakers are in the 18k to 20k range for minimum qualifications, and language mills are paying more than ever before, or at least they are if they want to fill positions. There are more Eastern Europeans here than ever before, job ads are now saying things like 'Native speakers preffered, non native speakers considered', and I saw a job the other day that said 'non native speakers welcome if they have a degree from a native speaking country'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: