Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this contract too good to be true?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: is this contract too good to be true? Reply with quote

Hey gang

Im currently talking to an agency offering a contract. It seems too good to be true.

me:28, canadian, 3 years ESL exp + TESOL cert. + PGCE

contract
bilingual school in Suqian, Jiangsu Province
: up to 400K after tax annually
Accommodation: furnitured two-bedroom apartment with 500RMB/month Bill allowance;
Free meal provided
Working visa provided
Medical insurance provided
Teaching books and material provided
full pay in winter holiday and summer holiday, summer holiday (July 15- August 20, winter holiday, according to local government’s arrangement).
Airfare Allowance up to 15000RMB provided every year.
Settling Allowance 6000 RMB (first year only)
Relocation allowance: 3000 RMB (upon completing one contract),

yes I realize the city is in the middle of no where, Im more interested in whether or not the contract seems legit

thanks in advance
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33k a month.
What are the work hours per day? per week?

How old is the school? If it is just opening they may have grandiose objectives and offers (?)
Osiry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When "up to" is included in the salary range, you should be asking some specific questions as to exactly what the salary would be with your experience/quals.
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I worked in Jiangsu , Suqian was one of those cities where some of the poorest students came from , but things change and the city may have ideas for development which include international schools.
As someone else suggested , it's not a contract , just a list of benefits and we don't know who you will teach , for how long each day . etc .etc.
The summer holiday seems very short
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These jobs do exist for people with proper qualifications. I have generally found, though, that you will work for the money you make in China. High salary jobs are often long hours with extra requirements for availability, even if the class hours are not high (Remember an 8 hour day is not an 8 hour day in China. It's 8 hours + the 2 hour naptime. That often means going in at 7am, not 9am). They often also have added stresses. High paying jobs not in international schools are often one foreign teacher in a completely Chinese workplace, with the expectation that you will fit into that workplace as such, sacrificing your independence, outspoken opinions, and sometimes being afforded the same "respect" as Chinese employees, which is often too much for Westerners to cope with in the long run.
Spatula City

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect it's a kindergarten homeroom position, but 33k/month after tax is still way above average.

I think they will probably work you like a dog and your holidays will be very short.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spatula City wrote:
I would suspect it's a kindergarten homeroom position, but 33k/month after tax is still way above average.

I think they will probably work you like a dog and your holidays will be very short.

Seconded.

I would suspect likewise.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: