Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanoi EFL - Experienced, qualified teacher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesWalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Hanoi EFL - Experienced, qualified teacher Reply with quote

I'm a native (British) English EFL teacher teaching in Italy and looking to teach in Hanoi for a year. I have a degree, a CELTA, and 15 years EFL experience.

Am I correct in thinking the following procedure is followed to obtain a work permit?:

1-British documents apostillated by UK authorities
2-Apostillated British documents translated into Vietnamese by authorized/recognized translator
3-Translated documents apostillated by Vietnamese Embassy in London
?
However, regarding point #2 above, on the Vietnam Government website, under Legalisation, no specific mention is made of translation of the documents into Vietnamese. Is translation into Vietnamese not necessary for the Embassy?

In August 2017 I got my British birth cert and my British criminal record check apostillated by the UK Legalisation Office for a bureaucratic procedure in Italy. Hopefully these two documents will still be considered valid for a WP application for Vietnam submitted in 2019.

I will also need my degree certificate certifying by a UK solicitor or the British Council (maybe get this done in Milan?), my CELTA certifying (UK legalisation office doesn't recognise this certificate, it seems), and then both legalising, and my passport legalizing.

Constructive input on any of the above welcomed. Thanks
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts 1 and 3 sound correct but I'm not aware of any need to get the documents translated. The Vietnamese just want to see the rubber stamp issued by the UK legalisation service.

I'm highly surprised that the UK legalisation department won't recognise a CELTA. It's issued by Cambridge University so what you are saying is the UK doesn't recognise one of its own universities and one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Lots of people I know have had a CELTA notarised; so have I (by a British consulate - twice). I think you should check this.

You will need a criminal record check issued recently (3-6 months - I can't remember exactly). Your 2017 one is out of date.

Birth certificate is not required - Vietnam requires notarised copies of your degree, teaching qualification and criminal record check. They'll want to see your passport too.

You don't need to get your passport legalised - it is a legal document and is rather difficult to forge these days.

You need to get all of this done before you go to Vietnam. In the past, the British Embassy or consulate would do this for you (for $50 a certificate). This is no longer the case.

If you have a job offer from a reputable employer in Vietnam, they should be able to explain the exact requirements. If you're going to Vietnam speculatively, yes, you'll find work; but it will be difficult to get a work permit without having all the documentation when you get here.
JamesWalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I couldn't find any info of validity period for a previously-legalised document so I email the Embassy for an idea. (Where did you hear it's 3-6 months?)
No, I wouldn't be going on spec. Hopefully get something lined up.
I will check the CELTA info again. I went through the lists on the UK legalisation office website but found no reference to CELTA.
It's a relief that the docs don't have to be translated anyway.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Checking Authenticity of the CELTA.
Rehcra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FCO certainly legalise the CELTA. The website (https://www.get-document-legalised.service.gov.uk/a-to-z-document-listing) is very unhelpful, but it does include "Educational certificate (UK)". There's an unofficial, but more helpful list here: https://www.chamber-international.com/uploads/files/list-of-documents-fco-can-legalise.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: