Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certified American Teacher Needs Your Advice (Where to Go)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
You said "I moved to the UAE a few months ago to teach English, and I'm absolutely miserable."

I don't doubt you are, I was in the region for 8 years and I had times I felt really down - as I'm sure many others here did when they were there. I found the first year the absolute worst; I'd go home at the start of the weekend and cry for a few hours. I had no Iqama, no bank account, no way to leave the country for a weekend, no friends to speak of, no internet, horrendous students, nasty management, back-stabbing colleagues, and no booze, pork, or female company. GOD IT WAS BAD.

You really can't compare life in the UAE to that of restrictive Saudi Arabia. Plus, not all Saudi work situations are crappy.
La Reve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Certified American Teacher Needs Your Advice (Where to Go) Reply with quote

As a certified teacher, check out international schools around the world.

You have to make sure the international school is 'real' - I signed up for one in Cairo and it was terrible: without curriculum, books or clean bathrooms. The company purposely avoided the hiring fairs for international schools because the employer was well-known for his mismanagement.

Real, established good international schools offer good salaries along with benefits. They are also highly competitive. Thus your colleagues may be more professional and enjoyable.

If I taught overseas again, I would have worked harder to find a good international school and enjoyed life more.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools like the one you had in Cairo are like biting flies. How do you avoid them? My experience with those schools are you have to leave them-if you can-immediately. There is nothing to gain with them. You have to realize you are being used and the school is a total scam. I just got through with a really crappy school-no curricula(dialogues on the board young students can follow, no flash cards, no materials at all),. No real toilets of any kind, canals with no privacy. I got the impression when I was being hired that the group was professional, nothing of the sort.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Who are you working for in the UAE? I'm here and I like it but my family is with me. I'm just completing year 4 in AUH.

The well-paid gigs here are mostly over. I've lived in Saudi, Kuwait, Qatar and Libya in the Arabic speaking world. 'Frying pan, fire' springs to mind.
La Reve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Certified American Teacher Needs Your Advice (Where to Go) Reply with quote

The certified teachers lured to the UAE grammar and high schools confront shocking student disrespect and mismanagement. Their stress levels are a hundred times worse than most other UAE teachers. My two years in the UAE were fine - at the university in Al Ain, but that was back in 1990.

I was fired because I flunked one of Sheik Zeyad's sons. This was based on a rumor of me being drunk at the graduation ceremony. This was silly since I hadn't even bothered to get an alcohol license. My firing was revenge from the son and his female cousin whom I had also flunked.

However, two Sheik of Al Ain's sons both earned the As I gave them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: