Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Chiang Mai better than Bangkok? Job Offer Crunch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Is Chiang Mai better than Bangkok? Job Offer Crunch Reply with quote

Trying to decide if I should take a job offer in Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

After reading the posts here, it is my understanding that
Chiang Mai has a lower cost of living and better air quality?
I also have read that Chiang Mai is beautiful
and peaceful with a more authentic cultural experience.

However, salaries are lower and public transportation is not good in Chiang Mai?

What is true and false from your personal experience?
Anything else I should consider before making my final decision?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is Chiang Mai better than Bangkok? Job Offer Crunch Reply with quote

SaharaDesert wrote:
Trying to decide if I should take a job offer in Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

After reading the posts here, it is my understanding that
Chiang Mai has a lower cost of living and better air quality?
I also have read that Chiang Mai is beautiful
and peaceful with a more authentic cultural experience.

However, salaries are lower and public transportation is not good in Chiang Mai?

What is true and false from your personal experience?
Anything else I should consider before making my final decision?

Chiang Mai does NOT have better air quality. In burning season (they burn off the stubble before plowing) the air is thick and barely breathable.

There are lots of jobs but the pay is poor. 3 TEFL centers crank out new TEFL grads every 30 days so there is lots of competition for the jobs and schools don't worry about teacher turnover. There is another group of new teachers just 30 days into the future.

The cost of living is NOT much different than Bangkok and it is MORE than most of the lower west-central or north east of the country. Just about the only place that is more expensive is Phuket.

CM is highly tourist oriented with large groups (literally hoards) of Chinese tourists always present. If you want a real Thailand cultural experience go to the NE (Issan) or central-west (Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi, Sakhon Nakhon, etc).

Move more than 100km away from CM and the picture changes. Better pay, lower cost of living, decent jobs, and options for additional on-line work at US$20/hr (you will be able to get either VDSL or Fiber optic internet). Just make sure that the town you choose has either a TESCO-Lotus or Big-C in it and you will be reasonably comfortable as a foreigner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: