Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

59 years old, haven't taught ESL before - China or Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: 59 years old, haven't taught ESL before - China or Korea? Reply with quote

I am 59 years old, a native speaker (U.S.) I have a BA in English from a U.S. university and a certification from Oxford Seminars in teaching ESL.

1. What's a better bet for finding work at my age? I have not taught ESL before.

Is being a tall, thin male with blue eyes a benefit here as well? Believe me those aren't my ethical values but I can see that there are some mighty messed-up notions of things out there...

2. If the pay level is the man concern, what's a better bet on that score?

Thanks.
eihpos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In China, your age and lack of experience might be a problem in getting a visa. In a lot of provinces there is a strict age limit of 60, which is pretty unfair but just the way it is. If you were where I am, you would have to get out one you hit your 60th birthday! Some provinces are more flexible, allowing people to stay up to 65. Knowing this place though, that could change too. Language schools seem to prefer younger people, I’ve seen some ads lately asking for teachers under 40 or 35! Then the experience: you need 2 years experience for the visa, but if you have some kind of teaching experience, maybe that would be ok.

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible but your best bet might be to check out some universities in smaller, less popular or well known areas and they might be able to have a word with the authorities and sort it out if they want you!

Don’t know about Korea, I worked there years ago and lack of experience was no problem but I would imagine the age limit might be the same.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is not an option due to visa restrictions. No "Z" visa once you hit 60.
Korea is not an option due to visa restrictions. No new E2 over 55 and done at 60 for those who were in before 55.

LEGAL work as a TEFL teacher in Asia will be problematic at best due to visa issues. That said, illegal work (not a proper visa) abounds throughout the east and southeast Asia regions. Cambodia is an option for legal work. Get on a plane, land, get a job, do a visa run and buy a business visa.

The same is largely true for Myanmar.

Thailand has restrictions at 60 (mandatory retirement age) and you don't meet the requirements to work in Malaysia or Indonesia (as well as the age issue). No visa.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about countries in South America?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
What about countries in South America?

Just get on a plane and hit the bricks with your resume in hand.
They don't import teachers. There are lots of backpackers running around.

They also don't give out work visas so you would be doing border hops when your tourist stay runs out. Illegal but commonly done.

rioux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Korea is not an option due to visa restrictions. No new E2 over 55 and done at 60 for those who were in before 55.

Are there any age restrictions concerning the E1 visa?
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=79359&sid=4f3324af6830ec267c349293890b75cd
Argofoto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I've been to any of them, but I know there are conferences and the such in TEFL and you could always try and hit one up and network, might be worth a shot on a tourist visa.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know there are conferences and the such in TEFL and you could always try and hit one up and network, might be worth a shot on a tourist visa.

It wouldn't be worth the expense and time to travel to international TESOL conferences for networking purposes. The OP's age and lack of teaching experience in addition to a lukewarm TEFL cert limit where he can (legally) work. Government regulations and job requirements aren't so flexible.

I agree with suphanburi. Cambodia is doable for the OP if he's set on teaching in Asia. And even then, there's the issue of age discrimination.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a place like Cambodia not be so anal concerning the age seeing that they would be happy if virtually any NES showed up? I say/ask this because the pay there (from what I've read) is pretty much so low that so few people (relatively speaking) venture do it.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are no real restrictions or requirements (other than being able to make English noises) in Cambodia there has been a significant influx of "unqualified" teachers running from Thailand to Cambodia due to visa issues in Thailand.

While the pay in Cambodia is shite the cost of living is also next to nothing (outside of tourist zones). 2 million won (US$1750) may be a poor salary in Korea but 2 million KHR (US$500) is livable (but not western) in most of Cambodia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: