Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MARCH 2016 LIVING CONDITIONS IN INDIA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubism

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: MARCH 2016 LIVING CONDITIONS IN INDIA Reply with quote

Hello,

Any ideas about where and how to live in India are welcome. Just talk to me!

Thank you.

(I came back to the States & well... I don't like it here.)

Cube
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult for foreigners to get long-term residence unless they are of Indian origin or married to an Indian citizen.
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: India: I didn't ask about residence Reply with quote

I simply asked where it would be a good place to live: climate is important. E.g., now it's very cold in Himachal Pradesh and getting hot in Delhi.

Where could I go in early March?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO CUBISM,

I AM SURE YOU WILL END UP BACK IN LANZHOU OR YINCHUAN BUT IN CASE YOU MAKE IT TO INDIA I'D SUGGEST SUMMERS SPENT IN THE HILLS AROUND DARJEELING OR THE WESTERN GHATS. WINTERS OUGHT TO BE SPENT AROUND KERALA. AVOID DELHI AND THE GREAT TURD OF AGRA. MANY OF THE NORTHERN INDIAN CITIES ARE HORRIFICALLY POLLUTED NOWADAYS.

IF I WERE YOU, ID FORGET INDIA AND HEAD TO SRI LANKA. PICK UP WORK WITH THE BRITISH COUNCIL AND WORK AT THEIR SCHOOL IN KANDY. SRI LANKA IS THE MOST PLEASANT COUNTRY IN THE SUBCONTINENT BY A LONGSHOT.

BEST REGARDS,

THE IMAM

P.S But how will we know you won't be tempted back to Zhongguo again?
sunrader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: India: I didn't ask about residence Reply with quote

Cubism wrote:
I simply asked where it would be a good place to live: climate is important. E.g., now it's very cold in Himachal Pradesh and getting hot in Delhi.

Where could I go in early March?

I lived and worked 2 1/2 years in Gujarat. Some of the best infrastructure in the country in my opinion. It's hot in summer, but I wouldn't live anywhere else in India myself.
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Deradun and Mussorie Reply with quote

Went there in 2013. Both Deradun and Mussorie are pleasant places to live, and they are famous education centers in India, with plenty of private schools including some which hire expats with the right qualifications.

From Delhi, the bus takes around 7 hours, if my memory is correct (to Deradun). Mussorie, is another hour or two, straight uphill from Deradun. They are both safe and pleasant places to live - with above average economies. Learning Hindi in Mussorie, with scholars from all over the world is very stimulating. Progress can be rapid at the main language school there. Most students master the script (devanagari) within around 10 days.

Mussorie is around 2000m above sea level with a very pleasant climate (some snow in winter!) - and probably the best Hindi language school in the world right there in Mussorie.

Sorry, for any misspellings in the above, which may have occured!

Ghost in China
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Inflation! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd try Mussouri (sp) again or Darjeeling. How's the inflation? (for example: 3 months ago I went to McLeodganj. The rooms had tripled in price unless you stayed on a rocky path 3 miles from town. Etc.)

Any other inflation advice.

Thank you.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sri Lanka suggests a poster above

They have just come through a truly vicious civil war withg Tamils and Sinhala slaughtering each other

I would not recommend it

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm..... the war ended a decade ago ......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: