Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting work visa from USA for teaching in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Getting work visa from USA for teaching in China Reply with quote

About how much time and money does it take to get a work visa from the USA?
Are six weeks enough? Is the medical exam the biggest expense? (I know there is a medical exam upon arrival in China, but I am not asking about that one.) Do employers pay for any of these costs?
rioux

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the medical is the biggest expense.
I never heard of an employer paying for it (the one done in the USA), but it's worth asking them if they would.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Chinese consulate visit Reply with quote

Does the work visa applicant have to personally visit the nearest Chinese consulate in the US?
rioux

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never went to a Chinese consulate. I used VisaRite and they took care of everything.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the norm, but some "higher end" employers will reimburse for the pre medical. I believe in terms of chains Wall Street does.

I laugh that this is still required. It has been like three years since Beijing clarified "should" to only in cases where the local jurisdiction suspects that the applicant may not pass the in country medical or may bring to China some sort of infectious disease.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Yes, the medical is the biggest expense.
I never heard of an employer paying for it (the one done in the USA), but it's worth asking them if they would.

The medical is not really that expensive. There is no laboratory tests, just a doctor going down a checklist that you don't have the things on it.

having the documents sent back and forth from the Chinese embassy or consulate was by far the most expensive part of obtaining a teaching visa.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voyagerksa wrote:
The medical is not really that expensive.

The blood work, EKG, X-rays, etc. - hundreds of dollars.
Paul Barufaldi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine I went to a local clinic do a general checkup on me. He just wrote "no clinical indication" under fields for bloodwork, x-ray, etc. $100 or something like that. It passed muster for the visa.

Once you get to China they will give you a very thorough work up with x-rays, bloodwork, sonograms... but that should all be at the school's expense.

You'll have other expenses notarizing your documents, which can really add up, especially with the postage fees. The chop from the Chinese consulate must be done through an agent and can get pricey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: