Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Filipino Teachers for Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: More Filipino Teachers for Thailand Reply with quote

https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/03/15/deped-thai-counterpart-discuss-deployment-of-filipino-teachers-in-thailand/
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cheap labor.....non native speakers from the Philippines........ Rolling Eyes
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/04/07/thailand-to-hire-more-filipino-english-teachers/
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filipinos are teaching English everywhere here.....soon there will be no more native English speakers teaching in Thailand...as wages continue to fall!!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's just simple economics/supply and demand.

Demand throughout the region has increased exponentially with more and more opportunities in Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, not to mention China. There simply aren't enough native speakers available.

Non-native speakers are therefore needed to fill the gap and can be paid less then native speakers. In addition, emphasis has shifted to fluency (being able to communicate) rather than accuracy these days as globally, the number of non-native speakers has surpassed that of native speakers. Thus, it has been found that poor grammar and pronunciation don't hinder comprehension to a significant degree.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be quite a few more native speakers available if Vietnam and China would stop the ridiculous age discrimination. In China even though some language schools would happily hire into the 70's, if that was all that was available. However, the government has handed down this no teachers past age 60 edict. So, let them hire non-natives. The Vietnamese are just as appalling. In addition to the non-natives not understanding the nuances of English tenses, colloquial speech and idioms, there is going to be no assistance in stopping the rote learning that occurs in those countries if you hire non-natives.

I remember especially in Saudi Arabia, the Arab instructors had all the rules down, stuff that I couldn't even get down straight. The problem is the items that effect clarity, are immense, much more far reaching then a simple set of rules which no NET is used to or interested in keeping track of. The Arabs were really good at impressing the Saudi students with rote learning. So the rote learning continues.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my impression: Many teachers from Thailand (as well as Cambodia and China) are showing up in Vietnam. Myanmar is another place former colleagues have gone. Although a number of schools in VN may mention 50 years of ageor something, it's because they need teachers for kids classes, not because of any official policy (as far as I know). As the whole the TEFL industry in VN is still largely unregulated, so if a school wants to hire older people, they can.

As for Thailand, with the ongoing political crisis and power struggles, they're going to need those Filipinos. Who else is going to show up?

Anyway, it would good to hear from those who are still there. I left a dozen years ago.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Native English teachers from Africa are now fiercely competing with Filipinos for EFL jobs and mediocre salaries in Thai schools...as most native English teachers it seems are leaving due to falling wages!
Shocked
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: age discrimination Reply with quote

"There would be quite a few more native speakers available if Vietnam and China would stop the ridiculous age discrimination."

Indeed! In China, the cutoff seems mostly to be 50 or 55. Confucius, after years of wondering, returned home to teach at the age of 67! I guess they didn't have the ludicrous age discrimination in his day. I wonder what Confucius would think about this practice?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand from a former teaching colleague that now Filipinos make up the majority of EFL teachers in Thai government and private schools. Me wonders how many native English speakers are still actually teaching in Thailand....?? Also regarding age discrimination seems now the cutoff is around 40 years of age...give and take a few years!!! Shocked
AbeCross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Terrible offers Reply with quote

This ad is from a well-known Bangkok-based university:

"Not over the age of 55
A one year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and departmental requirements
A one year bonus (one month salary) after successful completion of the second year contract
Salary 20,780 THB/month; plus housing allowance 8,000 THB/month"
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Filipinos can have it. The Filipinos can have all of Thailand for all I care. I probably won't go back even for a vacation.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible offers Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
This ad is from a well-known Bangkok-based university:

"Not over the age of 55
A one year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and departmental requirements
A one year bonus (one month salary) after successful completion of the second year contract
Salary 20,780 THB/month; plus housing allowance 8,000 THB/month"

A friend of mine who I think is 59 or 60 just got one of these government uni jobs, It's not well-known at all and actually has a poor reputation but it's about 15 mins from where he lives and he's worked at these kind of places before and knows what to expect and how to deal with them. The one-year visa was his main incentive.

Quote:
The Filipinos can have it. The Filipinos can have all of Thailand for all I care. I probably won't go back even for a vacation.

Thailand has been in a long slow steady decline for nearly two decades. In terms of TEFL, salaries have stagnated while inflation has not. The stronger baht however does mean you are making a bit more in dollar terms. At any rate, non-native speakers are definitely the norm now as they will work for less. Whatever native speakers there are tend to be very young or old guys hanging on or married to a local.

In terms of tourism, mass tourism was promoted which worked for a while, but that has peaked out as well for various reasons. In addition, a lot of retirees and other types of expats seem to be leaving.

For various reasons, I don't think things will improve there any time soon. So, yeah, it's probably best to just forget about the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: