Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an englishman in mexico
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peoplewitheyes

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: an englishman in mexico Reply with quote

Hello everybody

i'm new here, and in fact to the world of TEFL.

i have a quick question about teaching in Mexico: I understand that there is a preference for American English teachers. Would it be tough for me as a Queen's English speaker to get work?

thanks in advance
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: No problem Reply with quote

In the part of Mexico where I live, no disadvantage for you if you choose the right school. A few schools do advertise American English, however. If you plan to work in academic institutions, keep in mind that the British Council has major influence in Mexico, which could be to your advantage.

Most Mexican students, even at advanced levels, can't tell the difference between American and British spoken English. At the start of every semester when I get new students at various levels at the university where I teach, I introduce myself, and after I've spoken in English for awhile, I ask them where they think I'm from. Guesses always include Canada, the USA, and England. I'm from Midwest USA and sound like it.

Once when I was giving oral placement exams to new students, a girl who placed in advanced level for oral production told me after the exam that she really hoped she'd be in one of my classes. When I asked her why, she replied, "Because I want a teacher from England. I can't understand Americans. They all talk like they have a mouth full of potatoes." Fortunately for her, she did not end up in one of my classes. Evil or Very Mad

In the city where I live, there are a number of EFL teachers from the UK. I've never heard any of them mention that they were denied a job due to their Queen's English.

Best wishes!
Smile
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Queen's English Reply with quote

Mexico City gives us a different perspective. British teachers are given a bit of a rough ride, especially in business circles.

We've employed numerous Brits and we've always had trouble with students at first. I emphasize "at first". Later, the students came around as the teachers were able to adjust, working within a solid program.

A suggestion I'll make to a Brit teacher looking for work in Mexico is to check out the British Council or any school that prefers CELTA teachers, such as English First. The aim is to promote British culture and so their hiring often is slanted towards UK nationals. They seem to be an island in a sea of american English, but a good place to start.

You know, as a Canadian, I'm torn on these things. We share cultural heritage equally with both the UK and the US. I've had to adjust my manner of teaching and speech to reflect the needs of Mexico (so far from God, so close to the US).

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Sun May 04, 2003 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

even mojitos don't stand up to the big shiny EDIT button

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peoplewitheyes

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the prompt help, genlemen. Have a good sunday.
dduck

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Queen's English Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
A suggestion I'll make to a Brit teacher looking for work in Mexico is to check out the British Council or any school that prefers CELTA teachers, such as English First. The aim is to promote British culture and so their hiring often is slanted towards UK nationals. They seem to be an island in a sea of american English, but a good place to start.

That's interesting advice Guy... however, after searching the British Council site I found the minimum teaching qualification required is a DELTA. Boo hiss! Isn't this a bit much to ask teachers when almost anyone can get a job in Mexico on the back of a degree?

Adem�s, English First doesn't seem to have much in the way of opportunidades en Mexico or Latin America judging from their website. Where is a boy to look!?

Iain
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Brit Work Reply with quote

The English First doesn't say much at all about employment, but I can tell you they don't just need DELTA or CELTA. They'll say that if they offer a DELTA or CELTA course and want you to come and pay them to take it.

Getting a job in Mexico on the back of what kind of degree? A Master's in TESOL definitely helps. A BA and a love of backpacking? True, there are jobs there for them. Try Harmon Hall, Interlingua, Berlitz...they are fabulous organizations with a solid record and excellent pay packages.

Well, I've tried to get Brits to teach me how to be effectively sarcastic. I still need work.
dduck

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Brit Work Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to suggest that English First required a DELTA, this only seems to apply to the British Council. But I often find the information that you didn't ask for is more interesting than the information you did! Smile

As for me I have a Degree and a CELTA; I only need to get them both appostilated. Heck, what is the verb!?

Iain
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Oh yeah Reply with quote

Gee, I need to learn to read posts better. You're right...

Where are you getting your degree and CELTA apostilicamatederized (lol)? Abroad on in Chiapas?
dduck

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Oh, How I wish... Reply with quote

I had my birth certificate processed a few years ago when I worked in the Netherlands. Seems there is only one place in the UK that does it. So I'll need to "hot" mail my documents back to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.

According to their website I need to get them notarised (another verb I don't use much) first. Apparently, the British Council can do that for me in Oaxaca. Rolling Eyes

Iain
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Certifying your certifcates, apostilating your apostles Reply with quote

It must be different in every state. I've seen varying requirements for documents and paperwork in DF, Guerrero, Jalisco, and Morelos now. DF seems to behardest, where la migra insists on documents coming through their embassies aborad, whereas in the provinces (so-called), practically a note from your mom will do.
dduck

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Gracias por la informacion Reply with quote

Thanks Guy,

Unfortunately, my mum is a bit difficult to contact, any chance your mom could write me a note? Wink

Iain
Chunderbuttocks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: FM3 Reply with quote

Having followed the thread , one question arises.....
When obtaining an FM3, is it tied to an employer? Even so, are you obligated to obtain the FM3 in the nearest 'la migra'? Or is it possible to wander off the beaten track to a province that is less demanding when checking documents?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Wandering migrantes Reply with quote

Apparently, it's no problem to wander state to state and pick up an FM3 endorsement. However, if a school is sponsoring you, you must go to la migra in that same state.

I've heard that there are two types of working FM3...one where a school sponsors you and the other as an independent. I have no idea how to get the independent FM3, but a Canadian girl told she did it that way. May be that she bribed an official for it.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has the independant FM3. It's not that much different to obtain than the regular FM3, but I think there are a couple of extra hurdles to jump in the process. The benefits of having one are that you would be independant, and able to work anywhere you like. The drawbacks are that you have to be responsable for collecting and paying any applicable taxes (which means that you probably would have to hire an accountant), giving out "facturas"( legal tax receipts) for those people that want them and possibly a couple of other things that I'm not aware of. I personally think it's not worth the hassle, but that's just my opinion.
Suerte
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: