Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking About China?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Thinking About China? Reply with quote

You may want to look at this:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3762595
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Yeah, they're cracking down on people working illegally without proper visas and drug users. Good riddance. If falling into one of these categories is your plan in coming to China, for sure stay away.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at the other stories on that site about how the "noble" English teachers act in Taiwan. Clearing out bad elements is now considered a bad thing? It is amusing that drug use is considered a minor offense. Or abuse of students. What kind of teachers are these people?
jaybet3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing you can be detained on a whim. I gladly left China after two years and found higher paying jobs in the Middle East without the hassle or fear of being a foreigner.

If China is watching it's own people with their social credit system, it is certain their watching foreigners as well.

Say "good-bye" to Big Brother China and work somewhere else.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: The Tragic Kingdom vs. The Middle Kingdom Reply with quote

...and...over in the Saudi forums...

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=118125

I'll take China over Saudi, thank you very much.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Greg 09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a similar article about the mainland which also focused on EF. I think the training centers focus on hiring young backpacker types which will, by default, contain a larger percentage of undesirables.

On a larger scale I've read about and seen other evidence of anti-western policies including banning foreign history classes. Also, Christmas decorations have been banned in the city where I was last year. With geopolitics the way they are now and the progression of China's political culture going it the direction is has been of late, can't say I'm surprised.
kona

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Just look at the other stories on that site about how the "noble" English teachers act in Taiwan. Clearing out bad elements is now considered a bad thing? It is amusing that drug use is considered a minor offense. Or abuse of students. What kind of teachers are these people?

The article mentions that they are testing hair follicles that can detect marijuana from as much as three months back. Since marijuana is currently legal in many countries, I'm sure it's blindsided people that used it legally (or illegally) outside of China either on vacation or before arriving. Seems like a pretty arbitrary reason to deport a teacher.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona wrote:

The article mentions that they are testing hair follicles that can detect marijuana from as much as three months back. Since marijuana is currently legal in many countries, I'm sure it's blindsided people that used it legally (or illegally) outside of China either on vacation or before arriving. Seems like a pretty arbitrary reason to deport a teacher.

I am guessing the concept is that even if your previous use was legal, it indicates a large chance you will use again. They target areas known for drug use, they are not knocking on every foreign person's door and asking for hair samples.

I am not a stickler on drug use, I would say all drugs should be legal everywhere. I do not make the rules though, so I have to recognize this. I am mid thirties now, but used the herb for most of my pre-China life. I have no issue with it personally, but what I have seen in China is that it is a kind of messy situation. It often does go hand in hand with other drug use in the bar areas. That is where they are targeting. They are probably also targeting after observing. I do not think it is random. There are places both foreigners and Chinese know, so I would imagine the police also know.

Be careful and you should be fine. I am entrenched in being here, so I am not willing to take that risk. It is a risk in and of itself, as the stuff you get here is often laced with other drugs. I would recommend just avoiding it all together and steering clear of known drug/prostitution areas.

I know, I might come off as a troll here, but it is a serious thing. I have been here 11 years and they have not arrested or deported me, must be doing something right to not be in trouble.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with what they're doing in ways, getting the low end riff raff teachers and expats out is good imo. I'm also in no way anti-drugs but I dont do it here and I dont when abroad any more since the clamp down.
There are both Chinese and Expats that snitch to the police then the places get raided where urine and hair samples have been taken. I am in Shanghai over 6 years now though and have only heard of it happening twice and that was in the past year (different areas in the space of two weeks).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: