Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

York School of English Krakow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Thanks for posting this, svenhassel. It made my morning.

But, of course, it's also sad that someone who thinks like this is running an established language school.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update, Guys.

I recently had an 'interview' with the Director of this outfit - out of curiosity.

I say 'interview' because it mostly involved her talking and talking and talking rather than asking me questions about my experiences, CV, etc.

Anyway, she wants a lot for the measly pay that she is offering, which is 38 zl for a 45 minute hour and 51 zl for a 60. However, in February, this goes up to a whopping 40 zl and 53 zl respectively. WOW!!!

She can guarantee 28 hours a week teaching.

Contracts are generally on a self-employed basis.

Meetings are not paid. Also, travelling to different companies is expected with travel costs borne by the teacher and travel time is not paid.

I politely told her what I thought of the deal and said I wasn't going to bother.

How a school can justify not paying for meetings, travel costs and time is beyond me.

I guess that's why they have been advertising all summer.
mark9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAY AWAY from this school and most schools in Krakow for that matter
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Unless you've been there years and are totally established, I'd give Poland a miss. You won't earn enough to have even a basic life. The schools now are shadier than ever. The nativespeaker.pl page for Poznan has hardly anyone now. Single people are screwed on those salaries. In some cases, wages have gone down!
Was in Warsaw 2 months ago and a bottle of wine and plate of ham and cheese was over 200 pln.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financially sustainable work in attractive locations are few, financially sustainable work in unattractive locations are more feasible.

Poland became attractive a while ago...
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, oh boy!

Does this school ever stop advertising???
stasiu of liberty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started reading this thread in October 2010 I made sure this place would NEVER get my CV. Usually every Thursday or Friday I drive by this DZIURA from a different job and remember the wise words of my DESL-PL predecessors...DZIĘKUJĘ!

Still alive and well in KRK...Trzymaj kciuki!
BenKrakow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this! I got nostalgic based on a Facebook memory and googled York School. I came across this, and in honesty, I'd forgotten that I had written it. 9 years later, I still stand by it. Then I read the thread and saw that Queen K had described me as a hooligan. Nearly spat my wine out. I guess I am short and bald, and I was fat back then.

The fact that she wrote that nearly 7 years after I left her school tells you all you need to know about the type of petty, vindictive person she is. Brilliant. Honestly, you'd think given that she employed all those native speakers, and worked in the industry for this long, criticism from a former employee would be water off a duck's back. I still meet up with some of the guys I worked with back then. None of us work in tefl anymore, but we all still shudder when we think back to our time at York.

Sounds like nothing has changed at York, including those horrible, stock image laden advertising boards that were (are) omnipresent.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connor_bok wrote:
Sorry to hear about your experiences! Read my post on ILT for more of the same.

This sort of thing is more the rule than the exception now in Krakow.

I propose drawing up a list on this forum of schools that best be avoided in Krakow and members to who are willing to justify why! We might help somebody avoid the pitfalls we fell into.

Schools to be avoided in Krakow:
1. ILT - Inter Lang & Text (connor_bok)
2. York School (BenKrakow)

Let's see if these are only two in Krakow, shall we? Wink

I know it's been a long time since the original poster posted this, but after having experience in the late spring with this school, I thought it only fair to post it.

3. Three Lions - not difficult to see why he's always advertising for teachers.
straggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ha Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Unless you've been there years and are totally established, I'd give Poland a miss. You won't earn enough to have even a basic life. The schools now are shadier than ever. The nativespeaker.pl page for Poznan has hardly anyone now. Single people are screwed on those salaries. In some cases, wages have gone down!
Was in Warsaw 2 months ago and a bottle of wine and plate of ham and cheese was over 200 pln.

I've been in Poznan for five months and am doing ok. Can afford my own place, don't work all hours etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: