Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Americans detained in China on border charges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caliph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Two Americans detained in China on border charges Reply with quote

https://news.yahoo.com/two-americans-detained-east-china-035415237.html

No rule of law.
Getting to be an uneasy time. It’s easy to pick on English teachers, many of them, most are powerless and have little strategic importance. Americans are targeted because of trade talks.
rioux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unfortunately, because of increasing political and economic problems between the u.s. and china, we are no longer able to send teachers to china safely," the company wrote on its Facebook page.

This part rattled me.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some one gets arrested for organizing illegal worker coming to into China and this somehow translates to everyone should be worried?

When these same people trick teachers into coming here to work illegally most of us call them frauds and cheats. When they get arrested for it, it is political and about the trade war. China is persecuting foreign people in China.

These people were obviously running a recruiting business and pissed someone off.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caliph wrote:
It’s easy to pick on English teachers, many of them, most are powerless and have little strategic importance. Americans are targeted because of trade talks.

At the moment I'm not going to come to this conclusion. Is there more to the story?

First, I'd be interested in hearing more about this story and getting more details. Were these Americans up to something and got caught? Is this something that could have happened at any time and not just now during this trade war?

I'm also curious to hear any backstory: what exactly is China Horizons and do they have any ulterior motives?

Warm regards,
twowheel
KayuJati

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
caliph wrote:
It’s easy to pick on English teachers, many of them, most are powerless and have little strategic importance. Americans are targeted because of trade talks.

At the moment I'm not going to come to this conclusion. Is there more to the story?

First, I'd be interested in hearing more about this story and getting more details. Were these Americans up to something and got caught? Is this something that could have happened at any time and not just now during this trade war?

I'm also curious to hear any backstory: what exactly is China Horizons and do they have any ulterior motives?

Warm regards,
twowheel

Yeah, I thought the same.

Google search for Rexburg Idaho China Horizons pulls up website that states the founders -husand and wife- met while studying at BYU-Idaho. That is most likely a Mormon university, eh? Probably Mormon missionaries using TEFL as a platform for mission work.

Yawn. The sun is setting on TEFL in Asia for westerners unless you are from the Philippines or some other low-income country that doesn't have policy issues with China, although the Spratly islands are one sticking point I suppose.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
The sun is setting on TEFL in Asia for westerners unless you are from the Philippines or some other low-income country that doesn't have policy issues with China, although the Spratly islands are one sticking point I suppose.

I would say the sun is setting for unqualified teachers. It is looking good from my perspective. You are not going to get the magical 6k USD from the house of Saud, but you can make a good wage.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
Google search for Rexburg Idaho China Horizons pulls up website that states the founders -husand and wife- met while studying at BYU-Idaho.

When I read that news story posted by the OP, I caught it that he is a father of five and immediately thought, "who from the U.S. in this day and age is still having five children? Rich Hollywood celebs/pro athletes and conservative religious types. Ah, OK, got it."

So again, I'd like to get more details on this and a fuller story before a firm conclusion can be made.

Warm regards,
twowheel
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I would say the sun is setting for unqualified teachers. It is looking good from my perspective. You are not going to get the magical 6k USD from the house of Saud, but you can make a good wage.

Agreed.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Warning: If this thread does not stay on topic, it will no longer be available. Members causing it not to be available will be individually sanctioned. Sanctions can include permanent bans.

Casting aspersions, insults and engaging in less than civil discourse here are not appreciated here. Makers of same receive prompt attention from the Mod Team.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In these heady times it's best to keep one's head.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: