Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peizheng College, Guangdong Province
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:
This month, my salary was 11,600 yuan. Last month, my salary was 8,300. My salary fluctuates drastically because it's based on complicated calculations. Base pay plus number of lessons taught. If a month has a lot of teaching days and no holidays, my salary for that month will be very high. If a month has a low number of teaching days and several holiday days, my salary is much lower. If there's a holiday but it's on a Tuesday and I have only one lesson on Tuesdays, my salary is not affected much. If the holiday is on a Monday and I have lessons all day on Mondays, my salary will be much more affected. If the spring semester begins the second week of March, I will get base pay for all of March but not for any lessons the first week.

This is also a 10 month/year paycheck. Many of the teachers spend their summer holiday doing crappy kids summer camps and the like to supplement the 3 month stretch between paychecks.

Peizheng is not a terrible place to work (the students are generally lovely and the workload is fine), but the isolation + annoying administrative moves like the aforementioned pay structure (and CONSTANT interruptions in your daily living life--no water today, power outages, having someone come check something in your apartment every other week, 1998-era internet speed that often goes out totally, etc) build up and make it a very frustrating place after the first year or so.
MESL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for a couple of schools with a large number of foreign teachers, 25, 50, 75. I've worked for several schools with fewer than half a dozen foreign teacher. And a few where I was the only foreign teacher. I have found that the level of bureaucracy directly corresponds to the number of foreign teachers.
MESL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired for taking a phone from a student.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:

Whoa! Sorry to hear that, really. As I've always said. PZ is fine until it isn't. I have seen them turn on good teachers quickly.
Curtinca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
MESL wrote:

Whoa! Sorry to hear that, really. As I've always said. PZ is fine until it isn't. I have seen them turn on good teachers quickly.

The same can be said for just about any Chinese school. Make an enemy and you're toast!
MESL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With performance bonus and airfare, saved up 80,000 yuan during one year at Pei Zheng.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're advertising.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:

That's more than enough to say avoid avoid! You go thru the hassle and money of a Z visa and then poof!
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I spent 5 years here and it is TREMENDOUSLY difficult to get fired from this job. I worked with a several teachers who should have been fired, but I only saw one person dismissed from their job before their contract ended, and that person slapped a security guard in the face during a dispute and it was caught on camera. "Fired" usually means not renewed at the end of the contract.

It's not a great place, but not a terrible place either. Above-average pay. Annoyances. But it's stable and easy work.
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Pei to the Zheng Reply with quote

They're hiring.
rioux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-14k for 22 hours a week is too low of a pay.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
10-14k for 22 hours a week is too low of a pay.

Not really for an oral English university job with no office hours and 45-minute classes that only requires the bare minimum credentials. One lesson or two plans a week. No academic classes. This is still better than most comparable uni jobs.

I heard the monstrous person in charge is no longer there, which is good news for working there. However, not sure if that means they are still not giving timely release and recommendation letters, which should be a dealbreaker.
rioux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked the same amount of hours handling almost the same responsibility in SK but was paid quite a bit more.

Ain't worth it for me.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
I worked the same amount of hours handling almost the same responsibility in SK but was paid quite a bit more.

Ain't worth it for me.

Key phrase is "for me." And that's fine, but someone with a non-English BA and minimal experience is not getting that job you had in SK. No way. That market is too competitive. Yes, people with better credentials (MA+) can get paid more at universities in China, but that usually includes teaching academic classes and lots more prep time. Warm bodies with little teaching skill or experience can walk into this job. As well, it is kind of the bottom of the barrel as far as effort needed for an ESL job in China. Easy classes, no prep, no discipline problems or classroom control issues whatsoever. 4 day work week. 4 months holiday. MOST comparable uni oral English jobs pay less than this in China. It's not worth it for me either. But its better than the 7-10,000 most other unis are offering.
Mixal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But none of them will require 22 teaching hours. 16 or 18 max. I'd say the average is 14-16. So in the end it's pretty much a standard uni deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: