Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thai-Singapore Int'l School, Samut Prakarn - avoid!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Thai-Singapore Int'l School, Samut Prakarn - avoid! Reply with quote

I was offered a position at this school in August by their 68-yr old Director of Secondary Studies, who would be my supervisor. I was concerned over my age, 59, and he kept encouraging me to come, saying "look at me". Sixteen new teachers were hired. Today, only two months later, 12 of them are gone. I was number 12. Not once did he have any negative comments regarding my teaching performance, the students and their parents liked me, as he himself stated. In fact, right up to the day before he fired me he was praising my work and rapport with the students. Other teachers were issued oral/written warnings for various issues, but that's why it came as a complete shock when I was let go. A nice reference letter was issued, but it still states that I was there only two months, using a 3-mo probation period. My concern - not many second-year teachers at all, the kids' education is being disrupted by constant turnover, and too many people getting fired just as they are hitting their stride. I would avoid this place if you value your sanity. Teachers ARE NOT happy. And take a look at Glassdoor.com for more reviews of this place.

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know of four international schools that are real and not "international schools". All of them are in Bangkok. All of them would only hire licensed teachers that have already taught quite many years in their home country. Also they all have student accountability and a western standard educational ability or they wouldn't be accredited by IB and other western international agencies. True international schools are money sinks not money making businesses just like in the west. Sounds like your international school was either a money making adventure or just a fake just like the international I work at is.
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I landed on my feet with a new position. But I feel it is important to keep warning potential teachers about this school. They have now fired almost every teacher that started last August, and they make up excuses for doing so after telling them that they are doing well. The two people most responsible are a Philippine woman who is a supposed principal and an older American man who recruits and then stabs you in the back with his comments. Don't take the bait. They'll be nice to get you there, then abandon you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: