Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for those over 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Jobs for those over 60 Reply with quote

Could anyone please tell us which countries are okay about hiring teachers approaching 60 years old who would like to kind of semi-retire in that country and go on working as long as they were physically/mentally able?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of South America, if you have a pension or other investments to supplement. It wouldn't be realistic to want to live solely on what you could earn if you were semi-retired.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs for those over 60 Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
Could anyone please tell us which countries are okay about hiring teachers approaching 60 years old who would like to kind of semi-retire in that country and go on working as long as they were physically/mentally able?

It depends a bit on your nationality and academic credentials.

If you have a PhD you can basically work till you die (with proper visas).

IFf you are American then the US protectorates in the pacific are an option (Micronesia, etc). The visa isn't an issue and there is no age restriction.

If you are British then the EU is an option until Brexit (if and when it may occur).

As mentioned above, central or south America are an option for semi-retirement using EFL to supplement your retirement income.

Without a PhD eastern Asia is not really an option for legal work after age 60. Most countries restrict work related visas / work permit at ages 55-65.
Countries like Thailand and the Philippines do however have "retirement" visas and working on-line as an EFL teacher can be an option if you have another class of visa. Substantial "deposits" (proof of funds) are required to get these visas.

One exception to the over 60 issue is to be on the ground in Cambodia. Buy a business visa and work as a teacher. Currently there are no restrictions on age or academic background but that could change in a heartbeat if something hits the news (like CPN in Korea in 2006) and it becomes a political issue.

angeles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi suphanburi

Thanks for the information you posted above.

Would it be possible to expand on the following point you made:

"If you have a PhD you can basically work till you die (with proper visas)".

Really appreciate it.

Thanks
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angeles wrote:
Hi suphanburi

Thanks for the information you posted above.

Would it be possible to expand on the following point you made:

"If you have a PhD you can basically work till you die (with proper visas)".

Really appreciate it.

Thanks

Many universities in East Asia are opening/have opened up "International Programs" and they need PhD lecturers. Depending on your field of study and area of expertise this can be an option.

Work is between 9-15 class hours per week (full time), 3-4 office hours per week, research & publication are not required (but can be an option with reduced class loads).

While China currently restricts PhDs to age 65 there are no such restrictions in most of the rest of East Asia for PhD holders working as university lecturers on an annual, contractual basis. (I am in this category).

You didn't say where your passport is from so be aware that SOME countries have visa restrictions based on your nationality. Lots of countries will not allow citizens from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or failed states / states at war. They often make it very difficult for Middle Eastern / Asia minor or sub-Saharan African countries nationals to get visas as well.

rioux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi suphanburi,

From what I have been reading the age limit in China (circumstances can vary) is 60 years old.

This is the first I read that it is 65 if one has a PhD. Is there a source that can verify this, because this is useful information.

Thanks
TexasHighway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rioux,

Here in Jiangsu province, China, the age limit dropped from 65 to 60 in the past couple years. I just turned 70 but have been here at the same university for more than 8 years. Luckily, I have been extended for the past several years but the provincial authorities have finally caught up with me so this will be my last year.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Online too? Reply with quote

Age discrimination in brick-and-mortar institutions is rampant in most of Asia. Is this true for online as well? (Most online students are Asian, I believe.)
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Online too? Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
Age discrimination in brick-and-mortar institutions is rampant in most of Asia. Is this true for online as well? (Most online students are Asian, I believe.)

In my experience, NO.
I am over 60, work part time online and am always fully booked.

On line tutors, like any other tutors (as compared to classroom teachers) are more about building the relationship between you, the parent and the student.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look into teaching in Laos. I have one friend/former colleague who is around 70+ who is still there. He's a science teacher though, so he's kind of in demand.

There are a number of 'international' schools there. Also, there is one true international school (IB) in Vientiane (VIS), but they may also have a cut-off age.
hobartwells

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi on working visit visas. Also, it seems that Taiwan should be OK. They don't pay much, though.
mbkirova

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: 67 and still getting interviews Reply with quote

This age thing and restrictions is such a common topic that I'd like to put in my personal experience so far, starting from mid Jan 2020. It *really* depends on the school, though many countries (like China) are pretty unbendable. Nonetheless, I was offered lower paid university jobs there up until 64, they just paid very little. This year I've had positive responses from both VN and Cambodia, again not the most highly paid jobs (I'm looking at secondary schools, not language schools) but there is plenty of retirement potential in both. Latin America has no age limits, but again you are not likely to be offered the best paying positions unless you can tick all the boxes most newly qualified youngsters do. But retirement potential? Of course! Me, I'm looking for quality of life above all, but jobs must pay enough to live on with at least some small savings potential. I hope over this last year you found what you are looking for.
Pinkpiglet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking after all this Corona thing blows over demand is going to exceed supply in many S E Asian countries and they will lower the 60 year old ban thing.
mbkirova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: watch this space Reply with quote

I think you are entirely correct that this great muddle will put pressure on Chinese authorities to change the age laws. I see an extraordinary number of openings in China right now that they may have trouble finding teachers for.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Korea, Japan and now the Middle East will be seeing this, too. It is hard to say though, as economies are going to tank and the money for teachers might simply not exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: