Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American company-Overseas job (tax?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedLightning

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: American company-Overseas job (tax?) Reply with quote

This post applies to U.S. citizens

For those who have worked for an American company at an overseas location, what was the tax situation?

To be more specific, I've heard a number of people claim that these jobs do not qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion as the company you work for is not a foreign body; others, however, have told me that it does not matter(although none of the latter reported their income anyway).

I'm midway through a doctoral program here in the states and am thinking about going back abroad to replenish my finances.

Thanks
caliph

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked for US companies in Iran, Saudi Arabia and the UAE and qualified.
Must report income, but have a $75,000.00 tax free exclusion. These countries are considered “hardship” posts. Don’t know if this benefit would apply to Paris.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Caliph
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: American company-overseas job tax Reply with quote

Hi,
This is the current tax exclusion rule for Americans working in tax-free countries as of 2018 (doesn't specify US vs non-US owned companies, though):

"US citizens, as well as permanent residents, are required to file expatriate tax returns with the federal government every year regardless of where they reside. This exclusion allows one to exclude USD 104,100 (for 2018 taxes) in earned income derived from foreign sources."

I know when I was in the ME in 2009-2014, the exclusion was around $96k. Still, one has to file a Return but income is written in parentheses (i.e., is not taxable). Another rule to be eligible for the foreign exclusion tax is that the ex-pat must have resided outside of the States for 335 days each year. However, I learned that Uncle Sam would only be able to verify entry and not exit on your passport should one spend more than a month vacation back home. Their real concern is with AMERICAN COMPANIES based overseas that might be double-dipping, not paying any taxes anywhere, and padding offshore bank accounts. Of course, laws can change anytime.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are paid directly from the company registered in the US you do not get the exclusion. Most American companies overseas register a partner company in the second country. If you are paid from the partner company it is excluded. This is what they mean by foreign sources. If it is being sent straight from the US to your bank it does not count as a foreign source. If it goes through a secondary non-US source to your bank it is a foreign source.
arabiamark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
If you are paid directly from the company registered in the US you do not get the exclusion. Most American companies overseas register a partner company in the second country. If you are paid from the partner company it is excluded. This is what they mean by foreign sources. If it is being sent straight from the US to your bank it does not count as a foreign source. If it goes through a secondary non-US source to your bank it is a foreign source.

Not true. You can get the exclusion even if it's a US company paying into a US bank.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not saying what bank it was paid into, but what bank is it paid out of is important.
arabiamark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Was not saying what bank it was paid into, but what bank is it paid out of is important.

Not sure where you're getting that.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-what-is-foreign-earned-income

Scroll down to where it says 'Source of Earned Income.' Look at the first paragraph.

Also, for the physical presence test you only need 330 days, not 335.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: American company-overseas job (tax)? Reply with quote

Hi again,
Yes, sorry! I stand corrected. It's been a while since I worked overseas. It is 330 for physical presence.

As for foreign exclusion max allowed & eligibility: I indicated in parentheses that I wasn't sure how that worked with a US-registered company.

The IRS continually changes regs so it's probably best to verify for current year in question.
PS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: