Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Skills Cafe Too Good to be True?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DauntlessinDanang

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: English Skills Cafe Too Good to be True? Reply with quote

This is a heads up for anyone seeking employment with this company. Here's the job post I responded to from ESL ROK, dated 2019-09-23.
Quote:
Experienced English language teachers of adults are required for part time online work assessing students and employees for their English language level in speaking and/or writing. English Skills CafĂ© (ESC) is a platform bringing teachers, in the role of assessors, together with our clients. No marking or teaching is conducted; just live interviews via the ESC website. Applicants need to be native speakers of English with good hearing and no speech impediments, trained and qualified, experienced teaching a range of general English levels, and available in shifts of 2 or more hours duration according to your availability. Successful applicants will need to supply their own workstation and pc with camera. ESC is a 24/7 service so all time zones need to be covered including weekends and public holidays. The website is not operational yet and its copy and graphics are under review. Please email your cv and a current photo to [email protected] for shortlisting, further information and processing.
I was asked to confirm my interest by completing and returning an offbeat pre-employment questionnaire, and told that once they'd received it I'd then be sent a "raft" of essays to assess (but not mark) using basic CEFR guidelines. If I could correctly rank and group most if not all of the essays according to their basic or general level, I'd move on the next step in the hiring process. If not, I'd be out. I emailed Steven the questionnaire and asked him to "send me that raft." Nothing ever came. About a week later, I sent him a followup email saying I was still interested in the position. He replied the next day, telling me the essays would be sent within the next 24 hours. That never happened either. The job posting reads:
Quote:
No marking or teaching is conducted...
That was the first red flag. Then I got ghosted; and finally, lied to. Nobody likes being lied to. At the end of the day, if a job sounds too good to be true, it almost always is. Rolling Eyes However, if anyone has anything positive to say about this online dream job, I'm all ears!
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their new ad:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=54427
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: