Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am 59 and recruiters are contacting me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg 09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crapshoot pretty much sums up the age situation in China. I got booted out of one Province when I turned 60 but easily found other jobs. Since then I've worked in Hebei and Shandong, both of which promised me work permits until I turned 65 as long as the Med exams were good.

If the age limit in Shandong has been raised to 70 that bucks the trend but is good news indeed.

To the OP: the embassy has no say at all about your age, all they care about is having all the paperwork submitted correctly. The cost of all the notarizations and apostilles is not that much; for me about 100usd all-in. Some posters gave good advice about talking directly to the school but it's not a huge deal. Recruiters won't waste their time on you unless they know you're eligible for a permit.

Good luck!
Pinkpiglet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine everything has loosened up now post Corona. Does anyone know about current age restrictions?
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkpiglet wrote:
I imagine everything has loosened up now post Corona. Does anyone know about current age restrictions?

It's hard to say how all of this will affect the strictness of adhering to the under-60 age limit.

Nonetheless, I imagine that demand will be high and supply will be low for filling positions for September 2020 hirings--buyers market?

Warm regards,
twowheel
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it will depend on how the employer deals with it. If they are jerks, many will be not returning/leaving, if they were understanding most will stay. That kind of implies something that will not be universally true. I know teachers not returning regardless. It is hard to tell what will happen.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of today it's a moot point.

"Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China National Immigration Administration Announcement on the Temporary Suspension of Entry by Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence Permits"

2020/03/26

"In view of the rapid spread of COVID-19 across the world, China has decided to temporarily suspend the entry into China by foreign nationals holding visas or residence permits still valid to the time of this announcement, effective from 0 a.m., 28 march 2020."

Looks like this school term is history. Anyone's guess as to what happens now.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, I am still here and online teaching at 8:30. I would hope they cancel the term, but I wish they would tell us. I makes sense at this point that they will close the boarders, things are looking better here.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Not sure, I am still here and online teaching at 8:30. I would hope they cancel the term, but I wish they would tell us. I makes sense at this point that they will close the boarders, things are looking better here.

I guess if we were betting men, we could place a small wager on when/if this spring term will begin with face-to-face classes.

My uninformed guess is after the May Day holiday, perhaps, for university students, sometime in the second half of May, just to bring people back together, review, and take exams.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
nimadecaomei wrote:

I guess if we were betting men, we could place a small wager on when/if this spring term will begin with face-to-face classes.

With the new order that all foreigners are being denied entry into China for the foreseeable future, and the required quarantine period once entry is permitted, I don't see myself starting classes this term at all.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about schools returning, but I have this gut feeling that the whole term will be thrown away regardless. Really makes it hard to take grading anything seriously.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Not sure about schools returning, but I have this gut feeling that the whole term will be thrown away regardless. Really makes it hard to take grading anything seriously.

NMDCM,

That last sentence of your quote has been weighing heavily on my mind in the past few weeks. Usually before the first class I know exactly how I am going to grade students over the semester. Now it is less clear on how to grade students.

Warm regards,
twowheel
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed by a Chinese teacher that public schools are getting ready to start again

High school grade 12 first in early April. around the 7th, Grades 10 and 11 a week later then middle school at the end of April - 21st-

Don't know if that will happen and/or whether it applies to university and college students and private schools.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been told the early April date here, but we had seen a few dates previously. No official notice has gone out, so I am not holding my breath on that happening. I teach at a public high school. Only thing that might make it different is it is a boarding school, also. Added risk in that I would assume, or maybe safer. Not sure.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionheartuk wrote:
I was informed by a Chinese teacher that public schools are getting ready to start again

High school grade 12 first in early April. around the 7th, Grades 10 and 11 a week later then middle school at the end of April - 21st-

Don't know if that will happen and/or whether it applies to university and college students and private schools.

I was hearing that as well: when schools begin again, grade 12 would start first, presumably to get back on track for gaokao preparation.

I also heard that grade schools would open up earlier to send the kids back to school to free up parents once again.

This is all just hearsay on my end, but it's still interesting to compare notes with each other on possibilities.

I will still place a bet that universities will start to get back up to speed around May Day holiday.

Warm regards,
twowheel
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put this in the off topic, but all grades at my public high school/middle school were back last week. We will be getting ready for final exams in our department soon. Kindergartens and such have not opened yet, not sure about universities.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post an update. We have been back about two weeks. No problems, so far. Well, nothing direct about the virus, but the secondary and further issues are enormous and I do not see how they can ever be fixed. With the way it has led to massive shutdowns, I do not see my job preparing students for overseas studies moving forward. Students are seeing their future destroyed for nothing. Not many are going to be willing to chose this path in the coming years, at least, that is my prediction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: