Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January wages still not paid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ploughon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: January wages still not paid Reply with quote

Hey dudes,

I still havent been paid Jans wages. Ive been off work since the lockdown started in late Jan, and my employers said 'we cant pay you until the school reopens again'. Fair enough, but now the lockdown is easing and businesses are starting again, they no longer have that excuse. They have also told me to look for new work as they don't know if they'll reopen.

I've asked them for it a couple of times, now theyre not responding to messages.

So whats the best course of action? Get a lawyer? I don't wanna piss them off though cos I will need a release letter to work elsewhere.

Thanks
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the money has disappeared. Don't waste money on a lawyer. Maybe the money will reappear. You never know. I would be looking for another job.
rioux

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait it out a few more weeks. The pay should come.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of school?

Many schools across the country, especially those who did not offer any online teaching or reopen, are facing a situation where students are not going to pay tuition (simply people are refusing to pay for something they never got). In that case, they may really just have no way to pay.
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a private school and I was paid for Jan, Feb and March. Don't know the other months as I am paid in cash since January and I have not had any contact with the school since early April. I have not been back to school yet as the grades I teach are not back.

The virus law says that all should be paid a salary as they can claim the money from the governmen or at least get help fromthem. Some get salary according to the average local pay scale.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son's pre-school is a private school (kind of affiliated with public schools). They are now opening up again, but it is so late in the year. There was a meeting yesterday where parents could discuss whether or not it even made sense for the kids to go back. If they do not go back the school gets no money (tuition). Some parents wanted them to go back, probably just tired of the kids at home, others said there is no point of going back for a month. There are no foreign teachers in the school, but this is something that is taking place around the country.

I feel it is quite dangerous not being asked to return yet, if you rely on a job here. If they made it this long without you, then they have to be considering cutting that cost all together. This would include salary as well as any end of contract benefits. Most contracts have an out for unforeseen issues. On the flip side of that many schools are now out teachers. Weird market out there, and it seems impossible for new teachers to get the paperwork to come over. Add to that the distaste that will likely build for going overseas to study.

It will definitely be something to watch, not sure if you will have popcorn to eat while watching, but should be interesting.
ploughon

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses.

Its a training school for kids.

I was told matter of factly yesterday that I wont be getting any pay. Obviously Im not happy about this because I worked January. Also, I had to pay for my own flight to China in addition to the costs of getting a visa, which I was told I would be reimbursed for, and I havent been, so I was already out of pocket.

Any recommendations?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. Don't get me wrong, I believe you deserve to be paid, but I am not sure how likely it is you are going to ever see any money from it. Sadly, I think that sinking more time into it would only lead to you losing more money. Most likely the school will go bust and then you would have wasted time/money.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that money’s probably lost unless the school has a change of heart and does the right thing. In uncertain times such as these, a larger school or even one of the big chains, is likely to be a good spot to ride out the storm.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
[...] many schools are now out teachers. Weird market out there, and it seems impossible for new teachers to get the paperwork to come over. Add to that the distaste that will likely build for going overseas to study.

It will definitely be something to watch, not sure if you will have popcorn to eat while watching, but should be interesting.

Fer sure, I got my popcorn at the ready.

I am watching closely as I am currently out of the country and am waiting for the border to re-open so I can get back. My hope is that it will happen soon, but my expectation is that it will be later rather than sooner. I am making contingency plans.

Warm regards,
twowheel
rioux

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Chinese government have a plan in regards to the Resident Permits expiring and teachers not being able to come back to renew them from the winter vacation?
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Does the Chinese government have a plan in regards to the Resident Permits expiring and teachers not being able to come back to renew them from the winter vacation?

Good question. Perhaps we'll know more after the Party Congress and hopefully some time in June?

Am also wondering about a possible requirement of needing results of a COVID-19 test before boarding the airplane and to present when going through customs when arriving in China. Hmm...

Warm regards,
twowheel
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know nothing has been released yet about this sort of thing. It is definitely something that is being discussed and will need to be addressed though. Hopefully twowheel is right and decisions will be made soon.
Elicit

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:

I recently renewed and was informed that it would be OK if it was done a couple of months after expiry. I was in-country though.

HR implied that this could be done for some outside the country on their return, but considering it could be weeks or months more until those teachers return I remain unconvinced. First problem would be with the airline in that a valid visa/residence permit is needed as a precondition to flying in.

Likely also to be a province to province type of thing which confuses matters no end. If I was a betting man, I’d say if out of the country now, it will probably be a case of do not pass go and collect £200, but instead spend another £200 on stamps for degree authentications and little red stamps unfortunately.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had discussions with my university about renewing and at first they were inviting me back. A week later they changed course and said no. They said it's just too complicated with many unknowns with the PSB/Visa office. Nobody really knows anything there and seems it's a moving target trying to get answers. This is in Shandong Province.

I also talked to a recruiter friend and he said that most schools are not hiring from overseas for the same reasons. If you're in-country it's no problem.

I called the Chinese Consulate here in the US and they told me that all Residence Permits are "temporarily" cancelled. Mine doesn't expire until the end of July but it's essentially voided. The Consulate also told me that all travelers from outside the country must undergo a two week quarantine on arrival, regardless of nationality. She said nothing about having to have a C-19 test for boarding.

I was very fortunate that my school honored my contract and paid me in full every month during this school term. I taught my classes online but really only half the hours because they combined classes. They told me last week that my final payout (salary + bonus + airfare) would be July 15.

Some of my classes returned to the school last month and they are telling me that the rules are unbearable. They can't even leave the campus, at all. It doesn't sound like a good place to be right now.

I imagine that this is the end of the era where China was a good place to make easy money and live a decent and interesting lifestyle. I had a good 10-year run there and will miss it, but there are opportunities elsewhere.

To anyone who is thinking about going to China to work for the first time I would recommend against it. At least wait until the world calms down, if it ever does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: