Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two years - my experience in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much can be made? I arrived in Querétaro in December 2014, and I started the teaching business as a full-time operation on June 1, 2015 (although I had my first private student a few months before that). In 2018, after several years of HARD work building the business, my monthly gross fluctuated between 25,000 and 35,000 pesos. For a long stretch of the year, I was teaching 40-45 class-hours per week, between two corporate clients and a dozen individual students, and I’ve got to say that although I loved the money, that was too many hours (especially when you add in travel time). I was getting exhausted. One of my goals for 2019 is to restrict my class-hours to 35 per week.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
One of my goals for 2019 is to restrict my class-hours to 35 per week.

That still sounds exhausting to me, I have 15-20 hours a week. I do about 5-10 hours of prep and grading a week.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, for private individual adult classes, there is no grading, and prep time is relatively minimal. With some students, classes are purely conversational; with others, I read articles and dialogues and review points of grammar and vocabulary as they come up. A lot of the preparation is mental - reviewing my notes on a student before a class, to see where we are and where we need to go. Keeping the notes is VERY important, because otherwise I could never remember what I have read or covered with a particular student. I make the notes every night without fail!
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also remember that at Globoworld in Querétaro, where I taught briefly when I first moved here, I was required to teach 35 hours per week for a salary of (drum roll) 12,000 pesos per month. And that wasn’t even considered BAD; some schools paid worse. So I feel very lucky now.
donato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an old thread, but if someone reads...I think this is where you screwed up. You were given a great opportunity and you passed. If you had obtained your CELTA it would've opened many doors for you and I highly doubt you would have ever struggled again finding classes either from language schools or teaching kids/teenages/etc.

A very unfortunate story, but I don't doubt it. My personal experience was much better in CDMX, but I started years earlier.

DrValenzuela wrote:
The Anglo - (see next post)

International House - They informed me quite simply that they don't even attempt to recruit candidates who do not already meet their full requirements due to past problems with people changing their minds about "who, what, and where they want to teach" during the course.

British Council - after visiting a branch in person and being told to apply online I did just that. After a period of maybe 60 days I received notice that I had not been shortlisted for an interview. Two months after that notice, I received an email from British Council telling me they felt I had "potential" and were offering me a discounted CELTA course. If I failed to complete the course I'd have to reimburse them the full price. Successful candidates would be given interviews for.....*part-time* employment with British Council. I told them I wasn't interested in part-time work and never heard back from them.

Alexander Bain - This was an IB school that contacted me after finding my resume via Teachers Latin America. When I arrived for the interview something seemed "off" and when I asked the interviewer whether or not the school sponsored work visas he simply said he didn't know. Later, I found out that TLA had specifically asked the school if they sponsored visas and were told no. So the school basically wasted my time probably just to fill some kind of interview quota for a position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: