Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making the move to Madrid - finding accommodation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMojoRisin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Making the move to Madrid - finding accommodation Reply with quote

I'm planning to move to Madrid and find work teaching...

Upon arrival, I will need something short term, how long short term is, I don't know for certain.. I guess 2-4 weeks. Short term is the time it takes to get a job and find long term accommodation...is 2 weeks a feasible amount of time?

Hostels seem to offer pretty good deals, so I think that would be my first stop. I've also looked into madridinsider.com. In terms of security and stability their 2/4 week deals sound tempting, albeit a little expensive at �15/night. Anyone familiar with madridinsider??

And then there lies the task of finding that long term accommodation. Since I don't speak any Spanish, surely I'm limited in where to look for accommodation... I hear the average room rental in a flat is �250..is that true? If so, what kind of location - central Madrid or suburban?

And whats the common arrangement with deposits - 1 month's rent or 2?

I'm particularly worried about being taken advantage of by some cowboy given that I am foreign. I just about managed to avoid that from my experiences of living in London, and that was when I could speak the language! So what's the best line to take??

--- thanks anyone for reading this far! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for accomodation. I've looked at Madrid Insider and it seems a pretty good way to have everything arranged for you. The only problem is, it will require about 700 Euros, including the deposit.

I also found a site called WelcomeSpain.org--they have flats that are cheaper than the 420 wanted by MadridInsider. Does anybody have any information about this company? How do they compare to Madrid Insider? Thanks.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Making the move to Madrid - finding accommodation Reply with quote

MrMojoRisin wrote:

Upon arrival, I will need something short term, how long short term is, I don't know for certain.. I guess 2-4 weeks. Short term is the time it takes to get a job and find long term accommodation...is 2 weeks a feasible amount of time?

I found a job within a week, when I arrived. I imagine it would be pretty much the same, though you should estimate a few weeks at least. Your estimate is accurate, I'd say

MrMojoRisin wrote:

And then there lies the task of finding that long term accommodation. Since I don't speak any Spanish, surely I'm limited in where to look for accommodation... I hear the average room rental in a flat is �250..is that true? If so, what kind of location - central Madrid or suburban?

That figure is definitely in the centre of Madrid! And I think you can find a flatshare for cheaper than that.

If you move 15 minutes from the centre, you can find a place much cheaper.

There are estate agents who speak English, I worked with a company which was just off Gran Via, next to the Plaza de Espana metro station

I believe their address is Gran Via 72, fifth floor?

MrMojoRisin wrote:

And whats the common arrangement with deposits - 1 month's rent or 2?

Depends...I never paid 2 months deposit but I have known people who have
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: