Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Teaching Opportunities?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amylynne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Summer Teaching Opportunities? Reply with quote

Are there many teaching opportunities in Spain in the summer? Any recommendations as to which programs? (I have ESL experience, dual US/EU citizenship, but no TEFL).

Thanks!
dduck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Summer Teaching Opportunities? Reply with quote

I offer you the little that I know; perhaps someone will add to it Smile

Trying to find a job in Spain is hard (though not impossible); I've read recently that Spain is at saturation point. If you have qualifications and experience then you have a reasonable chance of getting a job. Less than that then it comes down to perserverence.

When I asked a similiar question a few weeks ago, I was told that those without experience should avoid the big towns - as that's where most teachers visit - but instead try the smaller quieter towns, where the competition (and attractiveness) is lower.

Finally, Spain seems to be one of those countries where you have to show up before anyone takes you seriously. And due to the tax laws the usual maximum contract is 9 months, after that teachers start getting employee rights! Smile

Oh yes, speaking Spanish is also a bonus!

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Amylynne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Iain! I'd probably only be there 3 months, so I won't have any high expectations about worker rights! I'll keep asking around and let you know if I find any promising leads...Buena suerte!
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,
Well, I've been teaching in Spain for about 4 years now and this is what I know. Regular private academies finish there programs at the end of June, then usually offer summer intensives that run through July. These are usually offered to their exisiting teachers or teachers who will be hired on in October. There is not much in the way of summer teaching jobs, except summer camps for kids, in places like Mallorca. All the teachers here are usually make a mad dash for summer work or they leave and go home for a month or so. Like the last person wrote, teachers are a dime a dozen over here so experience, an EFL certificate and Spanish are important. Sorry I don't know of anyone who's hiring yet, but things are usually done in person. Good Luck! Very Happy
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: summer work in Spain Reply with quote

For holders of EU passports, Berlitz recruits around 40 teachers to work in summer camps in July and August. Email [email protected] and
tell her Tio Graham sent you!
reality

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Bring Money Reply with quote

Salaries, Teaching hours and living costs in Spain means the majoprity of Teachers dstruggle to get by. This is similar to the plight of many expatriates that foolishly decided to move here.

If you can�t get a Teaching position, finding an alternative job isn�t easy.
Most Employers relize there is a surplus of cheap labor from other other EU Countries, looking for work. Over 90% of jobs advertised in my area, are for commission only "jobs". No Sales, No "Commissions", hence you are being charitable to a business. (I never heard of working for nothing for a business, before I came to Spain).

Bar/Restaurant jobs in Tourist areas, even expect their staff to work for "tips". Spain is a joke, foreigners here get so desperate for work, they earn less than a voulunteer on a VSO program in Cambodia.

Spanish people, don�t deserve the reputatation, served up by "spin" doctors promoting Spain. And Spanish Employers, should wise up to the fact. Most people would stay home rather than "work for nothing" for some seedy business Organization. I�d rather earn money as a volunteer helping poor people, get a better life.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality, I disagree with some of your comments about Spain.
The teaching hours are certainly long: I frequently spend 12 or 14 hours a day out of the house but get paid for 6 or 8. Then again, the country in the EU with the longest average working hours is the UK (Thanks, Tony).
Salaries here in Madrid aren't that bad and can be supplemented by giving private classes. None of the English teachers I know is rolling in money, but they're not struggling to get by either. I can't comment about other employment sectors.
Although the cost of property has gone through the roof over the last few years, the cost of living generally is definitely lower than in the UK, for example.
As for the Spanish people, I find them pretty laid back, except when they're driving.
I've been here for nearly 3 years and still haven't met anyone who regrets coming here.
Canela

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only summer work you're looking for, maybe you could consider some of the English language summer camps, English Summer S.A. or TECS or Blue Mountain School. The pay is crap though, and you'd be doing very long hours and more than just English teaching. I've never worked for any of these, but I've received summer job offers from all of them, so I'm not trying to promote them. I just know that there is some kind of work out there if you're really interested, and although the wages are low, they do at least offer free bed and board. If it's teaching only that you're interested in, then it might be a bit more difficult.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Summer camps in Spain Reply with quote

Canela, how can you comment on summer camps if you haven't worked in any?
I've done six where the pay has been reasonable and the work restricted to teaching only. In my experience the word "crap" applies to the camp food.
reality

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Cost of living in Spain Reply with quote

Graham is right about the cost of living in Spain, being lower than the UK. But he forgets that the UK, has one of the highest living Costs in the World.

The cost of living may be lower in Spain. But salaries are the Lowest within�the EU. Unless you rent a squalid room, in a poor area, eat
frozen Lidel Pizzas, and enjoy watching others have fun.

As for many expatriates being happy in Spain. It seems to me, they
are not well travelled. The talk is constantly of the Weather, which is
boring and pathetic.

If I only wanted the weather, there are hundreds of Countries out
there with better weather than Spain, and they offer better Teaching
opportunities, too. Pehaps, after working in Spain, they don�t have the money to get an EasyJet Ticket, home.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Spain Reply with quote

If an English teacher has to eat frozen pizza from Lidl then s/he is probably spending too much money on alcohol and tobacco. Fresh food in Spain is NOT expensive.
Accommodation costs can be reduced by sharing, the same as anywhere else. The real problem in Madrid at the moment is that the demand for accommodation vastly exceeds supply. Living alone is prohibitively expensive.
I repeat my earlier point about giving private classes to supplement the basic salary. I earn an extra 150 Euros a week for five-and-a-half hours' work. It can be done. Anyone who's really struggling to survive must be working for a cowboy outfit.
I agree with Reality's remarks about the weather. It's DAMN cold here in winter and, despite what some Spaniards say, it DOES rain here, sometimes for days at a time. That, and the prospect of making more money, is why I'm leaving.
Incidentally, Easyjet is not always the cheapest way to get back to the UK. I went home at Easter and the cheapest fare was (believe it or not) with BA. I recommend Viajes Transfronteras in Calle San Bernardino for air fares, especially to destinations in Latin America.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: it is not so bad at all Reply with quote

It is possible to teach English in Spain if you are American, I am European but in my 8 years here I have met many many Americans. The ones who well reasonably presented, had some experience and TEFL qualifications found work. I have quite a few American friends that work and live here in Barcelona and none of them are starving. Most of them go home once a year but of course they are not rolling in money but if you want to be rich why would you become a teacher anyway.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Summer Work Reply with quote

Amy:
There are generally a good few summer positions going-many in language day camps. However, like another person has already stated, getting a job in Spain generally requires already being there to interview. If you can read a bit of Spanish, try this web site for the classified: www.segundamano.com
Hope this helps!
Susan
avahanian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring Money Reply with quote

reality wrote:

Over 90% of jobs advertised in my area, are for commission only "jobs". No Sales, No "Commissions", hence you are being charitable to a business. (I never heard of working for nothing for a business, before I came to Spain).

Bar/Restaurant jobs in Tourist areas, even expect their staff to work for "tips". Spain is a joke, foreigners here get so desperate for work, they earn less than a voulunteer on a VSO program in Cambodia.

I�d rather earn money as a volunteer helping poor people, get a better life.

That's a rather strange concept, working for commission, isnt it? It means if you don't sell, you don't earn money. Many sales jobs are commission only, but it's hardly a new concept.

I don't know how you find that to be so strange, when it exists in every country (including your own).

But I do agree with your last statement !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: