Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cost of living
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Menace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: cost of living Reply with quote

I've been offered a job in Hertfordshire, just north of London which pays 1625 quid a month. After reading some of the posts here I'm concerned that this may not be enough. Comments?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: cost of living Reply with quote

The Menace wrote:
I've been offered a job in Hertfordshire, just north of London which pays 1625 quid a month. After reading some of the posts here I'm concerned that this may not be enough. Comments?

I presume that's net. If so, I'd think it should be possible to make ends meet but it always depends on circumstances and lifestyle. Even though it's close to London rent certainly drops when you get outside the M25.
The Menace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that�s gross. I�m certified to teach in Canada but evidently they will only pay me as an unqualified teacher for my first year. Then I will need to jump through a few hoops before I qualify. ???? I�m still trying to figure it out.

I can�t say I mind, unless such a low salary means I need to eat rice and beans for a year. I would like to be able move around a little, visit the historical sites, soak up a little culture and have a pint or two at the local pub. I�m not sure I want to live like a poor university student.

Thoughts?
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even after tax and insurance you would live rather better than a university student on that salary as a fully funded postgraduate gets by on half that. You won't be rich but - so long as you don't smoke or drink heavily - you'll be able to afford a few weekends away in places more interesting than lovely Hertfordshire.
oxfordstu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that salary, you'll probably still have to get shared housing and watch your expenses. England is the 2nd most expensive country in the world. In regards to getting certified, good luck. I'm certified to teach in CA and I asked around to see what it would take to get certified in England. It takes about 2 terms of pure hell. You've got to prove that you can teach every grade level (including A levels and the 6th form), and to do this, the school has to give you these classes. I finally gave up and went to Asia to teach ESL, and I'm MUCH happier here.
leeroy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most English teachers in Britain earn far, far less than that.
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it compares favourably with an entry level NQT (newly qualified teacher) fresh from a PGCE. 10 years ago when I started I was receiving about 800-900 net iirc. The figure you quote is about 1200-1300 net (I'm guessing there).
A big reason for me leaving the teaching profession in England is that these wages are not enough to live on in the south east - mainly due to high rent. That's why the education system in London and the surrounds is a bit of a joke Sad

And as Leeroy said, it's probably a lot higher than the average TEF/SL teacher salary in the UK.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that trying to live in the South East of England ona teacher's wage is VERY difficult.

Try it and see.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The reality is that trying to live in the South East of England ona teacher's wage is VERY difficult.

Try it and see.

I know what you mean - I've not bothered applying some very lucrative positions paying 35K+ knowing that I'm far better off staying away in Scotland or North of England. The flip side is if you can put up with a few years of austerity then it's easier to move up the ladder. I have a colleague who did just that and is set up for life!

Finding a partner who works in the City is also a definite advantage.
Will.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks,
On the bright side, one of my summer school team a fresh CELTEE managed to get a job at �19/hr with only summer school experience.
...Teaching ESOL
Phil_b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an isolated case... I've only got a CELTA and a year's experience, and I'm getting �20 an hour teaching ESOL....

While in comparison, there are very few jobs in EFL in London at the moment, and those that are often pay �7 an hour....

Why DO people teach EFL in London, I don't quite understand it - there's more freedom, and less bureaucracy. But, at least at my level, there's a HUGE difference in the pay... I'm just a little confused. There must be some reason, maybe in a month's time I'll on here complaining nonstop about ESOL..
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hertfordshire? ...
leeroy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice if you like trees.

And Potter's Bar has a lovely gastro-pub if you do a right out of the station then turn right again...
Magoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeroy has it; tree-huggers paradise. It's perfect for wealthy, idealistic vegetarians who want their kids to have a 'decent' education. Just remember that the S.E. can be bloody expensive-especially concerning rent-without the London Weighting. London is full of immigrants. London is full of markets. This equates to cheaper housing, in parts (although this is disappearing fast under the influence of developers), and, often, cheaper food, especially in east/sarf-east London. More choice. However, I agree that the North and Scotland are sound choices; cheaper, more friendly and less snobbery, certainly less than the Herts town where I co-managed a pub (forget the name). Try Asia. Much more fun (and great trees).
Oxfordstu: 2nd most expensive country in the world? Who say?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_b wrote:
Why DO people teach EFL in London?

It keeps them active in retirement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: