Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about Taiwan instead of Japan..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipsa

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Thinking about Taiwan instead of Japan.. Reply with quote

I am a 25 year old canadian female who is in Japan looking for full time work, the jobs seem to be few and far between. I hear you can earn more in Taiwan, and there are more jobs to choose from?
How much can I expect to save, earn...
Would you recommend Taiwan at this time considering the market and sars situation. Also, is it safe enough for a single young woman to live there?
Whatever feedback you have is appreciated...

thanks
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]][[]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipsa, the issue of safety for women in Taiwan was thoroughly discussed in this thread: Is Taiwan safe for foreign women

Your gross salary would probably be a bit higher in Japan, but costs in Taiwan are lower so you can probably save as much or more in Taiwan. It is difficult to say exactly how much you could save because it depends on two things---how much you spend and how much you earn. That said you could easily save US$500 a month. And if you earn a bit more and spend a bit less you could save more than US$1,000 a month.

Regarding SARS it might be a good idea to wait a few weeks and see what happens before you commit yourself to coming.
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: safe! Reply with quote

hi ispa,
i'm a mid-20's chinese-canadian girl living and working in taiwan..(for almost two years now) and i find it no more dangerous being here than being anywhere in canada! i walk from the MRT home (alone) and take taxi's alone...and i'm ok! Smile
Every city/country has its more dangerous areas or places so just be aware of those...(or maybe just places where you don't feel so comfortable being alone).
SO, in my opinion, in terms of safely for a girl, you'll be just fine! Smile

SARS...ha. that is another thing....
This whole thing is up for you to decide if you think it's a big deal or not. Some will say it's SUPER DANGEROUS, SUPER RISKY...DO NOT COME TO TAIWAN...but others will say it's totally over-rated. I personally think it's somewhere in between. I personally DO NOT think I will get SARS (as the rate is VERY VERY LOW!) but I am scared for the general public. If you are careful (wash your hands often..) then you'll be fine. Depending on how you feel about it...you can (like Taiwan boy suggested) just wait a few weeks to see how things are...and then make your decision.

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line! [email protected]
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: salary Reply with quote

salary ranges here..depending on if you are working hourly or salary wages. if you are working full-time, you could find something between $50-70000NT per month. (depends on your background, experiences, qualifications). if you work hourly, you could make anything between $500-1000NT/hour...

as taiwan boy said, you can totally save ALOT of money here...but depends on your spending habits...
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as safety for women, I don't know how to compare it to Japan, but it's much much safer (and saner) for women here than it is in South Korea.
Comparisons aside, I haven't been here that long, but have experienced no harassment whatsoever besides looking and hellos.
(In contrast to Gore-uh, where you will be stalked for mundane things such as wearing shorts in the summer or smoking a ciggarette in public.)
SARS: Now is a good time to look for work if you are careful with your health and not afraid of this virus. (Since you are 25-I would advise older folks to stay away right now.) However, do not go to Taipei! I read that they is mass panic beginning to develop up there. Outside of Taipei, the market is really starting to open up, and I was recently offered a job that is normally not advertised except by word of mouth. There are some good jobs opening up right now!
Money: Bring some with you. I know that sounds overly simplistic, but I came here without it (had some stolen) and that proved to be a problem! Workable, but a problem and a pain for a while. You will want at least $1000 US to bring with you, unless you want to sign with a crap employer and get advances. If you want to drink, do it at home, I know too many people who work 60 hours a week and don't save a dime b/c they go out to the clubs and bars every weekend and got jipped on their housing. (By the way, take a Chinese person with you to look at your housing-sometimes they can talk down the rent.) These things may seem obvious, but I have heard of a lot of people paying way too much on rent right now!
I have only been here a month and a half, so I'm not sure what you can save. Just be aware that you can cut costs considerably with low rent and drinking at home if you're a partier.
Chi-Chi
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: paranoia? Reply with quote

hello!
in "defence"? to what chi-chi was saying about taipei.......
well..i'm living in taipei now.....and although people are getting a little more anxious about it, I think that if you are careful (wash your hands, wear a mask where necessary) etc, you'll be ok! (AND, of course if you are a healthy person!)
AGAIN...this is totally your decision about what you feel most safe/comfortable with!

In terms of the job market in Taipei, however, there is alot available - especially if you come around now.

[/quote]
chi-chi

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry!
I did hear that this is where most of the spreading of SARS is occuring, but I guess the same thing would apply anywhere in the country-wash your hands frequently and take precautions.
Although I certainly wouldn't want to come down with it, the virus (if caught) has a very very low fatality rate in younger people.
I imagine the job market is opening up in Taipei too....I wasn't trying to spread false information, but read that people were panicking up there and that things were shutting down.
If that's not true, I bet you could score a verrry good job up there right now-they do have some of the best openings in the country-adult classes, stuff like that-
Chi-Chi
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read that they is mass panic beginning to develop up there. Outside of Taipei, the market is really starting to open up, and I was recently offered a job that is normally not advertised except by word of mouth. There are some good jobs opening up right now!

I think things are getting a little strange here also.
Mass hysteria.

People cancelling classes.

I've noticed Student shortages if anything.

All of my privates have cancelled.

People wearing masks everywhere - even 21 year old students in my classes!

People are distrustful and suspicious of each other.

I'm afraid to cough around anyone up here in Taipei.

I coughed and someone said, '...be careful! - SARS!'
sypanda5

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: no worries! Reply with quote

hey chi chi- don't get me wrong....no need to apologize! Wink

i think the media's portrayal of this is making many people very paranoid/very worried.....
SO YES, as sunpower said, people are freaking out...some people DO believe this is a HUGE thing...(maybe it is?!) but as I said before, we just need to be more cautious. that's all!

the job market is definitely open...many people who planned to come to teach have cancelled/post-poned their trip due to SARS. SO..if you come, you can definitely pick and choose!

good luck ipsa!
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: SAR-SUH Reply with quote

I think things are getting a little strange here also.
Mass hysteria.

Justifiably so. Let's be honest here: for two months the government pointed fingers at China and did NOTHING to take preventative measures in keeping SARS from the public. Now shit's hit the fan and it is going downhill fast. An exaggeration? Well, when the government did nothing and the locals can't be trusted to stay in the luxury of their homes for 14 days as the government feeds them so as to prevent any possible spread of the virus - then the "mass hysteria" is justified. Let's look at facts: over 20,000 people are quarantined. At least 9000 are being kept under surveilence because they can't be reponsible citizens and stay home - if not for their safety than for others. It's not fear as much as a lack of respect for human rights/life. How bad can it be?

Then again, this country is run by a president whose entire platform is based on digging up ethnic hatred with his Hokklo cronies so as to deny aboriginals, children of multi-racial marriges, the Hakkanese, Cantonese and "waishen ren" and foreigners who want to become citizens the right to call themselves "Taiwanese."

If a government can't control the nation's traffic behavior then there is cause for concern when it could have prevented an epidemic but did nothing. Now we're stuck with it.

Mass hysteria? If I was a local and had nowhere but this island to go to I'd be hysterical too. The locals want a good future, but events like this unplesantness only remind them how hopeless life here can be.

It's justified.

People cancelling classes.

This is happening En Masse. I can't say I blame folks when kids infected with SARS go to their buxi ban. I reference the one (so far) reported case in Taipei. That scares folks. Multiply this with a government that is run like a bad ethnic-baiting poker game and you'd want to protect yourself/your family the best you can: because nobody else will.

It's also an excuse to not pay the bills and go through the whole program. With Tawianese- when it comes to money it's hard to tell if some folk are just out to take advantage of an easy exit opportunity. Most seem sincere about wanting to come back.

Two weeks ago people laughed at me for wearing a mask in school. Now they are telling me how on-the-ball I was as they plead (in Chinese) with receptionists for a break in study.

My school won't refund dough. They simply extend the time period for classes, so the folks can come back and get what they paid for.

It will be interesting to see who sticks around, since one teacher has left and two of us are contemplating going to a country where the government actually does something for its people, even if they are communist (i. e. Vietnam).

I've noticed Student shortages if anything.

Classes that were normally filled with 30 students last year have dwindled to five. Two weeks ago there were 5 people. All claim SARS.

All of my privates have cancelled.

Again - it could be the convenient excuse. I find privates on this island the most unreliable. In Japan: reliable, Korea more reliable, here: Ugh!

People wearing masks everywhere - even 21 year old students in my classes!

Let's see: closed environment, poor air circulation, close contact, you don't know where the others have been or who they've been with: can you fault them? In fact, you should be wearing one. Be glad they wear 'em because if they have SARS they have less of a chance of spreading the virus onto you if they wear their masks.

All of my students wear masks now. Good for them. I compliment them on their thoughtfulness and desire to keep studying rather than to pull out.
We need to encourage the responsible folk. God knows, there seems to be relatively few these days!

People are distrustful and suspicious of each other.

This is a norm in Taiwan, but you're privy to seeing it on a wide scale. When a government is run by a muckaker who slams non Hokklo ethnicities like an inverse KMT - and then slams China, claims the island is safe, ignores an April 22nd heads up that Ho Ping hospital is hit with serious SARS cases and then sits on his thumbs until it gets too bad - all the while his own administration are now controlling the amount of Surgical mask imports (namely the N95 variety) - you'd learn to look out for yourself because nobody else will. Remember, it IS getting WORSE here, not better. It only makes sense people will be leery of others in such dire circumstances.

I'm afraid to cough around anyone up here in Taipei.

Yeah - it's rough. I accidentally swallowed too quickly and choked for a second yesterday. I coughed to clear my thraoat. Folks got tense.

I coughed and someone said, '...be careful! - SARS!'[/quote]

My favorite is a student lecturing the class on the danger of SARS while not wearing a mask in class. He only wears them when he walks outside!

Logic is not this island's best fashion.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is foolproof, but if you're here and staying for a while, there are some steps you can take....there seems to be no absolute preventions for this virus, but there are things you can do to boost your immunity, if nothing else:
Get plenty of sleep. As much as humanly possible. I find that I can catch any bug passing by if I don't get enough sleep.
Exercise. I don't have access to a gym, but do take long walks. Sweating is also good for your body (it gets some toxins out.)
Eat healthy. Salads and fruit every day for your vitamins, seriously, keep a good diet right now.
Wear masks when you are out of the house. No it's not totally preventative, but it's a help.
Take hot showers frequently, wash your hands whenever possible.
Now. I wanted to add in my two cents: it is IMPORTANT to be careful, b/c these people act like fools sometimes when they are sick!!! I caught a stomach bug once, b/c a girl in my bushiban, well, came this close to throwing up on her desk. Sure enough, later I got it, as well as people I came in contact with, and people they came in contact with....then there was the guy at the PC room sitting on a couch next to me, practically coughing on me without covering his mouth. Imagine my suprise when I wake up with a cough the next day Wink
Anyway I'm not sick now (see steps above!) but seriously these people think nothing of breaking their quarantines....I believe what set this whole thing off was a high school student breaking his quarantine and going to school...so don't rely on the people around you to be preventative...you have to do it yourself...
Chi-Chi
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, Chi-Chi.

The Taiwanese can't get over their scare of SARS.

It sounds like some very tough action they are taking against people who are suspect of being contaminated with the SARS virus. It is like when people had Leprosy.

They were cast off to uninhabited Islands somewhere and left to die.

This is mostly due to ignorance and not reality.

S h i t, there were millions who died of aids last year and no one has said a peep about it.

What a Phucked up world, eh?

But I guess the media is largely to blame for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: